Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this? I think I'm gonna give it a shot...

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
how much is it? i can't imagine it being cheaper than doing it yourself, and the results are the same, plus it's a VERY easy DIY mod.

dR

·
Registered
907 Posts
I was going to purchase this grounding kit from HKS, but figured I could of just gone to circuit city or somewhere like that and bought thicker monster wires and custom make it myself for a lot less.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grounding

Yeah, I thought of doing the same thing. As for Monser cable, it's crap. There's nothing special about them. Plus, I don't think it would work in this application because it's COAX. Any 8 gauge wire with a gold plated connector is fine. Even if it's not gold plated, it'll still do the job. I work for a large electrical manufacturuer, and I was thinking of making something like this using industrial cabling using what's here. I'll do some research and find out works.. Hmmm, maybe I can make some $$$ of this...

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can make your own ground mod for less than $50 the best way to do it is about 20ft of 8ga power/ground wire from any car audio wire company, 6 8ga ring terminals and 1 4ga ring terminal and 1ft of 4ga power/ground wire and any kind of 8ga to 4ga distribution block. I did this for less than $50 looks and works great. Dont waste your money on some brand name grounding system.

Hmmm, maybe I can make some $$$ of this...
I thought of this too, but theres a bunch of people making kits now. I guess we are to late. I saw Vividracing selling one for $89.

·
895 Posts
i went to radio shack and they don't have any gold plated ring terminals at all...where else can u find them?

and how much are you guys paying for 8ga copper wire...like whats a good price?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure this thread has been recycled over and over...but where do all the wires connect to and exactly else is there to ground?

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Yep, Ivan did mine for me...hehe...red wires look good under a blue hood :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
buy it if youre going for looks, go for the cheaper alternative to keep your pockets fat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
you can get everything you need for a 4 point ground at

partsexpress.com

i think i got everyting i need to do the job for

$36.00

nice fat red 8 gauge into a 4 port, 8 into 4 gauge distributor block

why spent $125...its just wire

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Power Cable Calculator

http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/cablecalc.html
So tempted to just go with the HKS precut deal. In addition to the wires, I still need to by the 'prettiest' distribution block, gold plated connectors, crimp tool, etc....but I do hate the purple.

Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the logic of using 8 gauge copper wire. Why not use a 6 gauge wire to handle an amp draw of up to 85 amps? I've seen a lot of posts where people start breaking things down into a science, here's your chance! Thanks...

Bernard

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
I got red speaker wire from Magnolia Hi-Fi and Rockford Fosgate gold ring terminals...trust me, it looks good and it's much cheaper than this HKS system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts