Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a bone stock 03' WRX and first mod getting in on this is going to be a grimmspeed catless uppipe. Let add in this car had 2 previous owners who did nothing but daily drive this car but was keeping it reliable to drive daily and has 157k miles on it. With this engine meeting the inevitable thing called time. Should i consider moving forward with other mods to the engine with what daily driving it has had on the car. I plan on getting it damn near 320 hp at the crank or so the plan maybe like 350 or something. But thats the general outcome for me. With this engine having the wear it has should i even consider just stopping and getting into a lower mileage engine. Or even get me a EJ207 instead for this build. I believe from all the info i have gathered through the forums i have read up until now i could just probably do a swap. I am kinda just so confused not goin to lie cause im still just starting to get into this car enthusiast culture and trying to learn so much at once is kinda overwhelming and exciting at the same time. I have talked so much of this backstory and unnecessary details. but i hope you get the gist of the point of this all and hope i can turn this build into what i have envisioned.

summary of this all is :
I have a bone stock 03' wrx with high mileage(157K miles) (previously used as daily by 2 previous owners) well kept reliability. Uppipe (Grimmspeed catless) first most recommended mod for turbo grenade prevention. And what i want to know is if its safe to continue modding the car with this used up engine with high mileage.

I plan to bring this car back to life to its original paint all around and keep it that way with it sounding and performing better with reliability intact.

I have said above about being open to knowing if a swap is in fact an option for the near future and or even just swapping in a lower mileage engine from overseas would be better that the one i got in the engine bay now.

Thanks for future enlightenment and insight. I am very open to anything im here to learn and transform.

- Khody

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
I think the question that you need to ask is:

How much are you willing to invest in a car that's worth MAYBE $5000 at the end of the day?

The car is high mileage as you have said -- any modifications that increase horsepower will undoubtedly decrease the remaining lifetime of high-dollar parts. Are you prepared to spend $Thousands fixing what breaks?

At 17 years old and 157k miles, the car should be on its THIRD timing belt, soon to be FOURTH timing belt. Do you know the last time the timing belt was changed? That should be your first priority.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m doing a full send. Whatever I need to do I’m cashing it into the car if needed. I would have to look back into the last owners updates on what needed to be changed but I’m pretty sure from what I remember the timing belts been change within the last year or even 6 months. It really doesn’t matter what the cost of the car is now knowing I’m most likely going to be it’s last owner. I’ll get back to you on the official time it’s been replaced. And as said above the last two owners made sure maintenance was priority to keep this car in well conditioned as it is. Just unfortunate that I’m planning to mod with a high mileage engine.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Before any thoughts of a performance modification I would do maintenance, followed by maintenance, and then some more maintenance.

I would 100% do a timing belt kit regardless of what the previous owner told me, unless they could provide paper documentation that it was indeed done recently. Otherwise I trust no one, and would replace it out of peace of mind.

Next I would change all fluid, starting with engine oil, then diff and tranny fluid.

Next I would do a leakdown/compression test to get a good idea of the health of the engine.

Doing the catless uppipe first was a good choice, as that is a common failure with those cars. Next, I would follow closely to what I mentioned above, all while saving pennies for a new engine if that one were to finally go. (the compression test will give you a good idea on if it will last much longer.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and gladly the past owners provided vanilla folder full of all the maintenance done dating back to 2006 even. But I’ll have to get into looking at a shop here in Indy that I can get the test done. With me not knowing much of that I’d gladly let a professional check the engine out and give me the facts. I’m def going to get engine oil serviced soon. And hoping this uppipe comes in ASAP. Recently just changed out my front o2 sensor which was easy replacement but the past owners did not get to during there time with the car. So far that’s all the wrenching I’ve done to the car until the uppipe is in my possession.

Also glad the clutch has been recently replaced maybe about a few thousand miles have been put into it. I am just making the most of it being my first MT car.

This is all great info.

Thank you,
Khody

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With more info on how to do a compression/leak test. I’m going to hold myself accountable and learn to do it myself. I won’t learn if I don’t put myself into challenging situations and have failures to learn from. So happily going to do my best and do it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
My rad killed itself yesterday after coming home seeing that puddle of antifreeze was unpleasant news.
Going to get the koyo rad replacement and looking into Grimmspeed or Samco hoses for the replacement for oem hoses.

Upipe has still yet to be installed but it really begins now.

PS. Got to the store and everything i needed to clean and dispose of the coolant which is harmful and poisonous. And no driveway stain thank goodness.

More to come soon. rad install and uppipe install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my KOYORAD in spiced up with Red Grimmspeed hoses complete. Coolant had been mixed in and burped. Got the Grimmspeed Catless Uppipe installed and oem one out. Will go back and do the 2.2k Ohm résister soon so will have CEL on for time being.

But here is the juice. I think I make have done too much forcing when wiggling the oem uppipe out that I may have cause an oil leak on what I believe to be the long block. So I am going to not be able to take my hard earned drive of working on the car so soon.

Sadly the shop will get to see her soon to get that fixed. I’ve got the oil dripping right on the Grimmspeed uppipe while the car had been running during the burp.

And here I am just hitting the tip of the iceberg. More to come. She is a Midwest gal. With her Midwest problems. Things are slowly moving forward.

Stay tuned for more problems to arise.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
I highly doubt you damaged the block. Check the valve cover.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
I highly doubt you damaged the block. Check the valve cover.
Or even more likely -- check that you properly reinstalled cylinder head and PCV breather hoses.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
Or even more likely -- check that you properly reinstalled cylinder head and PCV breather hoses.
Ah, yes. That is even more likely. The easiest way to get the uppipe out is to loosen or remove the passenger side engine mount, then lift the engine up an inch or two. Slides right out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts