Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my ECU reflashed by Cobb to a stage 1 and notice a new noise as I approach redline. It is a high-pitched noise. Somewhat like rushing air, somewhat like a squeal. It's not there in first...there about 6750 in second and slowly comes in when in 3rd gear about 6000 and up. They mentioned that maybe it has something to do with the wastegate. This noise was never present before and has only appeared now. It is not 100% consistent either. I am guess it is turbo related, but they were stumped as they has not heard this issue before.

ANY ideas? I would greatly appreciate any, thank you!

·
Registered
183 Posts
jvic said:
I recently had my ECU reflashed by Cobb to a stage 1 and notice a new noise as I approach redline. It is a high-pitched noise. Somewhat like rushing air, somewhat like a squeal. It's not there in first...there about 6750 in second and slowly comes in when in 3rd gear about 6000 and up. They mentioned that maybe it has something to do with the wastegate. This noise was never present before and has only appeared now. It is not 100% consistent either. I am guess it is turbo related, but they were stumped as they has not heard this issue before.

ANY ideas? I would greatly appreciate any, thank you!
Have you done anything w/ your airbox? It might be some sort of leak in that, or your BOV, or maybe the wastegate...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, completely stock other than an STi muffler. Most people that I have talked to think it's some sort of exhaust issue, possibly a small leak that is just now showing itself.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd say it was a leak too. But if it is coming from up front it might be your recirculating BOV. Do you know where it is located on the intercooler?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The main thing I am concerned about is not doing any damage to anything. If it's a leak that causes no harm, I would rather it be that than something more serious.

·
Registered
183 Posts
jvic said:
No...I am guessing on the front?

Yep, it's on the front. Looking at the engine it's on the right. I'm just speculating that is what it might be though...

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know, I never tried to see if it makes the noise while standing still...I will try that tomorrow...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts