Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So, I currently have a 2010 BMW 335xi. It is having too many reliability issues, so I have decided to sell it. It's got a about 105k miles on it and something is wrong with the valves and suspension (creaks when turning), and I don't want it to eat up anymore of my money. I know I want a hatchback that is 2011-2014. At first I thought I would just go for a WRX, but it seems reliability is an issue with them, especially the transmission. I am not gentle with my vehicles to be honest, I need something that can be thrashed on quite a bit. So, I moved on to looking at STI's. I really like the SI drive feature which allows you to adjust the torque distribution and all of the traction and stability control settings. However, in order to afford an STI, I am going to be looking at one with 90-125k miles. I haven't been able to really get any information on high mileage STI's from this generation, so I was hoping you guys could help! It really needs to take a beating, probably taking it to stage 2, will be kept outside on dirt, 3-4 months of snow on the ground, and hard backroad driving.
Thanks so much,
Kody

·
Super Moderator
10,958 Posts
You'll have a better transmission with the sti but the engine can still be suspect considering how they are driven. They are no less of a money pit than a BMW and parts are not always cheap.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
Haha, it'd be hard for parts or repairs to be more expensive than BMW...

My thoughts on this are: consider having your BMW looked at by a reputable non-BMW mechanic to identify any issues--oil leaks and the like. You may find there isn't as much to be done or as expensive as you think.

You will always take a several-thousand dollar hit buying a new-to-you car, even excluding the actual cost of the vehicle. (New car reg/taxes in my state is 8% of the net purchase price--even at $20K that's $1600.)

If you want something more reliable, an STI with that much mileage is not a great choice IMO. If you don't mind some risk and are looking for a different driving experience, well that's different.

That much mileage on any car is questionable especially the way STI and WRX are often driven. My thought would be a lower mileage 15-30K either STI or, if you can't afford it, WRX. Buy from a reputable Subaru dealer or CarMax. That would be the best chance of no surprises.

Where do you live, btw?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff and XJMan for replying. So as for repairs, I have took it to a 3 different mechanics to get work done on it in the 1 year I have owned it; One of which being certified and the other two not. As with the most recent issue, I was quoted 350 to diagnose the current issues and 500 from a certified bmw mechanic. They say there is no way to pin point what component is failing in the engine, so they need to remove things in order to determine the issue, which they both told me would likely be over 1500 dollars to fix. Just a month ago I spent 1800 in repairs on it, so thats the main reason I'm done with it. Thing is, I need an awd, and I only drive manuals. Max budget is 25k at the top end, which doesn't leave much room for me to do mods. Ideally, I'm looking for one between 18k and 21k, but they are all high mileage. I really don't want the wrx because of how much more is offered from the sti (6-speed, si drive, traction/stability controls, etc.), but if I was to buy a mid range mileage one it would most likely be from carmax, since their cars are almost all stock. No matter what though, high mileage or mid mileage, I want it to be stock, because likely it was not driven hard. I live in the Denver area by the way.

·
Super Moderator
10,958 Posts
Stock has nothing to do with how hard the car is driven. These cars are autocrossed every day completely stock. Buy the absolute newest, lowest mileage, and unmodified vehicle you can afford.

In the last 2 years in just boost leaks and repairs alone I'm in 3500+ on my 95k mile 2011 WRX. It's also ragged out pretty good, needs the timing belt, water pump, clutch and suspension done soon. With BMW you've got great companies like bav auto. Closest we have is rock auto and even it can be expensive.

The 6 speed on the sti is nice. However day to day on the street I doubt you'll ever notice its advantages really. It does have a character and the limited slip diffs really shine in low grip situations. But good tire selection makes a larger difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Have a used party inspection done with compression / leakdown tests performed prior to purchase. Those two tests will give insight as to the health of the engine.

·
Banned
289 Posts
I know you're wanting the STI and I don't blame you. I am picking my STI up tomorrow and there is a lot to want from it over the WRX.

However, with your budget that's a tough one.

If you get a 2018 WRX 6 speed, you are pretty damn close to that budget if you get a base model. You can easily go full bolt ons (Vape bros Definition: Stage 2) safely with the new WRX and they do have 6spds. You won't get everything you want...but you'll get a reliable zippy car with a warranty (although certain aspects of that warranty would likely be voided by adding those mods).

otherwise, if you're lucky, you might be able to find a certified pre-owned BASE STi that was a lease and 3-4 years old for around your budget..maybe..

Where are you located? We have local forum deals with a dealer in Colorado and in New Jersey that get you KILLER prices.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts