ClubWRX Forum banner

561 - 580 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My car has been maintained by the book, preferring authentic Subaru parts, since the first day I bought it new. It has 160K miles right now and I do not expect or accept a failure. This means I would drive it across the continent tomorrow morning if needed without expecting any issues, and on the other hand if there were to be an issue I would not accept it with a "these things happen" attitude. I'd probably not buy another Subaru again, ever, if there is a major failure now on my car. Failures below 200K should be pointed at with amazement and dismay. This is the 21st century. If we can't get 200K+ out of our cars we are buying the wrong cars.

All this doesn't mean I didn't buy the wrong car, or that you won't. My car could explode the next time I turn the ignition switch. Yours could blow up while still at the dealer's when you're about to drive off. All it means is that it's not as likely to happen as with other cars -- or other owners.

If you buy a new Subaru and maintain it with authentic parts according to the book and are careful with it, all I can guarantee is that you'll have spent money for the car and parts. Nobody can guarantee it won't fail. I do find it much less likely with a Subaru as described than with other cars though.

About the turbo: what's not there cannot fail. An atmospherically aspirated engine will never experience a turbo failure. However at least as implemented on my Subaru the turbo is not effectively a wear item nor has it caused any problems.
Thanks so much for the detailed 'lay-out' of it. Yeah, I honestly prefer the WRX over the Si (in terms of handling and power), but I guess the "negative" feedback I get on it kind of lop-sided, since no one I knew had or owned a Subaru to praise on how it's good. Thanks again.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gudentite 2007 WRX Limited 190,950 miles.
Picked it up last week, runs well for the miles. First Subaru.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

561 - 580 of 621 Posts