ClubWRX Forum banner

541 - 560 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 WRX Sedan

Currently at 212,XXX. The lifespan of these cars continually surprises friends, family etc who nay-sayed when I bought it at 87k.

Major repairs:
Cracked radiator, installed Mishimoto ~120k
Whining tranny mainshaft bearing, rebuilt at DSG at ~168k
Dead starter at 198k, rebuilt locally
O2 sensor at ~180k
Front left wheel bearing started dying today :p

Glad to join the club, this is a truly awesome thread. After reading these I am slightly less nervous commuting 80+ miles a day with mine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Man, I think it has literally been over a decade since I last got on here. My odometer is at 153k on my 2005 Impreza OBS SE.

Looking to trade it in on a 2015 WRX :thumbup:

·
Admiral Ackbar the 1st
15,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #544
OK, I'm honestly going to update this week, because I actually finally just rolled over 100K last month in my '03. So if anyone wants in post up now.

Man, I think it has literally been over a decade since I last got on here. My odometer is at 153k on my 2005 Impreza OBS SE.

Looking to trade it in on a 2015 WRX :thumbup:

Welcome back.

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,137 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, new guy here and I got a question. I am looking into buying a 2015 WRX, but being turbo'd I'm afraid it won't last me that 'long'. I've read stories about the earlier generations WRX's engine "blowing up" and valve seats and such going bad. Also, I've talked to a private shop owner and he said that he gets Subaru's (in general, but turbo'd engines) that comes in for a head gasket job with only 55k on it.

Are all these due to poor maintenance? Or because it was too heavily modded and things wore out faster? Or because it was just a 'dud/lemon' car?

My plans are, maybe, slight bolt-on mods when I end warranty, but until then I'll be using it as a daily driver, commuting from home, school, and work (mostly city) and the occasional spirited driving via back roads.

Any/all help will be duly noted and thanks in advance!

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Hey, new guy here and I got a question. I am looking into buying a 2015 WRX, but being turbo'd I'm afraid it won't last me that 'long'. I've read stories about the earlier generations WRX's engine "blowing up" and valve seats and such going bad. Also, I've talked to a private shop owner and he said that he gets Subaru's (in general, but turbo'd engines) that comes in for a head gasket job with only 55k on it.

Are all these due to poor maintenance? Or because it was too heavily modded and things wore out faster? Or because it was just a 'dud/lemon' car?

My plans are, maybe, slight bolt-on mods when I end warranty, but until then I'll be using it as a daily driver, commuting from home, school, and work (mostly city) and the occasional spirited driving via back roads.

Every car has a different story. But if you're in this thread, you no doubt notice that there are tons of high mileage Subarus. They are no more prone to problems compared to any other car. If you don't take care of them, then of course they are going to blow up.

Most of the time when you see an engine blowing up now, its because someone has pushed it way past its limit (kids...since the older gens are the new Civics) or someone hasn't kept up with maintenance.

Of course a shop owner is going to notice when Subarus come in...because if they don't come in, that means there's nothing wrong. Every car will have those with faults and issues. It's just the nature of cars.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

Every car has a different story. But if you're in this thread, you no doubt notice that there are tons of high mileage Subarus. They are no more prone to problems compared to any other car. If you don't take care of them, then of course they are going to blow up.

Most of the time when you see an engine blowing up now, its because someone has pushed it way past its limit (kids...since the older gens are the new Civics) or someone hasn't kept up with maintenance.

Of course a shop owner is going to notice when Subarus come in...because if they don't come in, that means there's nothing wrong. Every car will have those with faults and issues. It's just the nature of cars.

·
Registered
18 Posts

So, as an regular commuter, I shouldn't be seeing any "major" problems, as long as I keep up with maintenance and such (as any other cars), even in a turbo'd engine car?..

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
So, as an regular commuter, I shouldn't be seeing any "major" problems, as long as I keep up with maintenance and such (as any other cars), even in a turbo'd engine car?..
No. As a regular commuter you shouldn't be seeing any major problems as long as you keep up with maintenance and such (as any other cars), even in a turbo'd engine Subaru.

Unless you do. I'd place your chances better with Subaru than Audi or Mitsubishi, for example.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No. As a regular commuter you shouldn't be seeing any major problems as long as you keep up with maintenance and such (as any other cars), even in a turbo'd engine Subaru.

Unless you do. I'd place your chances better with Subaru than Audi or Mitsubishi, for example.
"Unless you do."? Sorry, meaning? I'm kind of out of it right now. Hah. But yeah, even my friends said Subaru > Mitsubishi and Audi wasn't even a option to begin with, lol.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,327 Posts
"Unless you do."? Sorry, meaning? I'm kind of out of it right now. Hah. But yeah, even my friends said Subaru > Mitsubishi and Audi wasn't even a option to begin with, lol.
My car has been maintained by the book, preferring authentic Subaru parts, since the first day I bought it new. It has 160K miles right now and I do not expect or accept a failure. This means I would drive it across the continent tomorrow morning if needed without expecting any issues, and on the other hand if there were to be an issue I would not accept it with a "these things happen" attitude. I'd probably not buy another Subaru again, ever, if there is a major failure now on my car. Failures below 200K should be pointed at with amazement and dismay. This is the 21st century. If we can't get 200K+ out of our cars we are buying the wrong cars.

All this doesn't mean I didn't buy the wrong car, or that you won't. My car could explode the next time I turn the ignition switch. Yours could blow up while still at the dealer's when you're about to drive off. All it means is that it's not as likely to happen as with other cars -- or other owners.

If you buy a new Subaru and maintain it with authentic parts according to the book and are careful with it, all I can guarantee is that you'll have spent money for the car and parts. Nobody can guarantee it won't fail. I do find it much less likely with a Subaru as described than with other cars though.

About the turbo: what's not there cannot fail. An atmospherically aspirated engine will never experience a turbo failure. However at least as implemented on my Subaru the turbo is not effectively a wear item nor has it caused any problems.

541 - 560 of 621 Posts