ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving to work this morning and my Omori EGT is reading in excess of 2200F! It was a normal drive to work (less than 15 mins), and I was never over 65mph. What could be happening here? It's been hot out (maybe 75 degrees at 7:00 this morning, and 95 or so throughout the day this week) here, but I don't think that should affect anything so early in the morning...

I have a full turboback exhaust, with the EGT probe mounted in the stock location with the resistor mod all done by my Subie dealer.

Can anyone think of why I've got such high EGTs? I'm going to see what happens this afternoon, and then take to SOA tomorrow morning if nothing changes.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
WOW! I was just about to start my own thread about this! My E.G.T. gauge was reading 16 (I have the Autometer [I know they are crap!] so it doesn't read in the same numbers). I'm calling up shops right now to see if I can diagnose something..last night I would drive at 13 and now it keeps going on up to 16...weird.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
04blk - No performance issues, but I wasn't pushing the car at all - not even really getting into the turbo too much. about half my drive is 50-60mph, then city streets where I barely get into 3rd gear and then stop&go.

One other things - The needle on my gauge was swinging a little bit (Omori is precise, so this is strange) - which leads me to believe it's the probe, and not something majorly wrong. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Keep in mind that there's a lot more to the EGT reading than just the gauge. The EGT sensor has a current running through it. I've gotten really funny readings after the car has sat for a long time and also on long trips. Mostly lower readings though, with the needle bouncing around. After a few heat cycles it stopped behaving that way.

I think the probe just gets out of whack every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
acsWRX said:
04blk - No performance issues, but I wasn't pushing the car at all - not even really getting into the turbo too much. about half my drive is 50-60mph, then city streets where I barely get into 3rd gear and then stop&go.

One other things - The needle on my gauge was swinging a little bit (Omori is precise, so this is strange) - which leads me to believe it's the probe, and not something majorly wrong. Any thoughts?
My Autometer was "ticking" a little (when I pulled over and let the car idle for a minute it dropped instantly to like 10 in one motion...maybe its the gauge? This is so weird though that someone else just had this problem...now I can't make a thread about it :eek:

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sounds like a bad gauge. Check your ground and + voltage, then if its still no good seek professional help.

The ticking in electronic gauges might be normal - they use stepper motors for better control and they make noise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
might be a bad connection somewhere.

my omori egt gauge pins to 2500F ever so often (read: once every 3 months) and a slight tech-tap to the gauge housing fixes it. :confused:

i highly doubt your car is putting out 2200F exhaust gases. A 5 minute ride would probably melt many parts!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Anyone care to help me diagnose? I just ran UTEC to see if I was running lean and pulled the AF Ratio...should I take logs or something?

Edit: friend of mine said maybe its dumping too much fuel because I can smell it...you think an 02 sensor could have gone bad?

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
ScoobysaurusREX said:

i highly doubt your car is putting out 2200F exhaust gases. A 5 minute ride would probably melt many parts!
Heh, that's what I was going to say. As I understand it aluminum starts getting soft at 1700F. If you were running 2400 in the manifold your engine would probably have a cool new teardrop shape :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts