ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a HID bulb (passenger side) go bad last week - it turned purple/pink lighting up the road with orange light. That's happened before and I replaced it with the same HID kit as the original, VVME. However, it seems VVME is no longer around after more than 10 years, so I bought an Amazon Prime HID bulb replacement set and replaced the bad bulb last night. When I first plugged it in, it didn't light up, so I reversed the 2 wires with flat tips (the rest are modular so there is no confusion which plugs where) and it lit up fine. Don't know why their color codings were reversed (originally I tried connecting red with red and black with black, but the tip widths didn't line up as well and so I had to go red to black and black to red for it to light up). So then I inserted the bulb into the housing and closed everything up and proceeded to level the beam heights - I must have keyed on and turned the lights on and off (including high beams) a dozen times for a minute or 2 each time. After a handful of turning ons and offs, my driver headlight started to flicker briefly, then it really started flickering and went out after a few more ons/offs. I waited a bit before trying again, and it lit up again, but after a few more on/offs, it went out completely. Then, while leveling the high beams (no HIDs), and the driver bulb out, the new passenger bulb started flickering like crazy and went out. I went online to Google flickering HIDs then went to bed leaving the car door open and dome light and rear hatch light on. When I got up 4 hours later and turned on the headlights again, the HID bulbs were still out and the high beams dim. After turning them on/off a couple of times, they pretty much went out too, and there's this clicking noise and my security (alarm) light on the dash is lit and the battery pretty much dead. Are the flickering bulbs just due to a low/bad battery or some other electrical problem? I can't imagine the dome and hatch light draining the battery completely as I've left both map lights on overnight in the past without killing the battery. The battery is about 3.5 years old.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The battery was actually almost 5 years old (4 years, 10 months). When I got home, I charged it for 1/2 hour and the HIDs powered on and the car started. I drove to the local auto shop and their battery tester tool showed it was fully charged, but bad, so I bought a new battery.

Although HIDs use lower wattage, they draw higher current turning on, so the multiple on/offs must have drained the battery as it was already going bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts