Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got a 2019 WRX Premium, and have heard the halogen low-beams aren't stellar. Is it possible to just replace the low-beam bulbs with an HID kit without doing a full retrofit with different projectors? Thanks!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes, you can. However, I've tried different ones and haven't been too pleased with the results. Something about the lens doesn't concentrate the HID's beam of light correctly or effectively. To get adequate light output, you need to use a 55W kit and you'll need to use a relay harness to get enough steady current to eliminate flicker. However, with a 55W kit, you have heat concerns to deal with. IMHO, you'd be better off looking into LEDs. The important thing, no matter what you decide, is don't go cheap. While kits from Kensun, Xentec, and OPt7 are appealing, don't get drawn in by their inexpensiveness. Kensun, while their support is very good, just doesn't produce a good product, IMHO.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably still go the HID route. However, I'm a glutton for punishment.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris, thanks for the response! I’d love to do HIDs, but really don’t want to bake my brand new headlights if I don’t have to.

EJ, sounds like you’ve got some good data there. Most of that article is focused on HID. Have you heard anything similar about LED? I know most LED replacements tend to reduce light output, but have you or anyone else found LEDs that actually increase light output without blinding other drivers?

Also, yay science!

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
The article EJ links to is common knowledge at this point and uses good common sense. Using HIDs or LEDs in a "reflector" housing is a no-no because it causes the light to scatter. Using them in halogen-designed projection lights will decrease the output of the light if you use above 5K, which peeps often do to get that bluish light. HIDs can and will work in our WRX halogen projection housing. You may need to adjust the beam, which is relatively easy to do.

Also, add a good set of LED bulbs to your fog lights. Just be sure the leds are facing left<-->right and not up and down and you'll be fine.

As for "brighter" halogen bulbs like the ones EJ suggests in his linked thread, good luck. If you're considering going that route, I'd stick with your standard halogens as you will notice no difference in usable light, whatsoever. Halogen bulbs are weak and ineffective. I've tried all of the claimed "brightest" halogens over the course of several cars and none of them look much different at all. I'll likely get flamed for saying this, because the narcissists on this site will need to beat their chests. I can honestly say I've never been flashed once for my HIDs or LEDs. I've actually driven my wife's car towards might at night on several occasions just to test this for myself.

Anyway, whatever you decide, best of luck!

·
Registered
370 Posts
i did a lot of research into this and ended up with philips extreme vision halogens, they are brighter than stock and a little less yellow. not as bright as powerful led or hid headlights but they are super easy, somewhat cheap, and i am definitely not blinding other drivers. another option to consider.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
ChristopherWRX said:
The article EJ links to is common knowledge at this point and uses good common sense. Using HIDs or LEDs in a "reflector" housing is a no-no because it causes the light to scatter. Using them in halogen-designed projection lights will decrease the output of the light if you use above 5K, which peeps often do to get that bluish light. HIDs can and will work in our WRX halogen projection housing. You may need to adjust the beam, which is relatively easy to do.

Also, add a good set of LED bulbs to your fog lights. Just be sure the leds are facing left<-->right and not up and down and you'll be fine.

As for "brighter" halogen bulbs like the ones EJ suggests in his linked thread, good luck. If you're considering going that route, I'd stick with your standard halogens as you will notice no difference in usable light, whatsoever. Halogen bulbs are weak and ineffective. I've tried all of the claimed "brightest" halogens over the course of several cars and none of them look much different at all. I'll likely get flamed for saying this, because the narcissists on this site will need to beat their chests. I can honestly say I've never been flashed once for my HIDs or LEDs. I've actually driven my wife's car towards might at night on several occasions just to test this for myself.

Anyway, whatever you decide, best of luck!
The article is NOT out-of-date, and that's not "chest beating" on my behalf.

Fog lights should not be used regularly; they should be used only when the conditions require them. Typically, that is when conditions do not allow you to safely travel the posted speed limit (which is based on clear conditions). Use of fog lights during clear conditions is actually a detriment to forward visibility at normal speed.

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
Unless something has changed with LED headlights the consensus seems to be they suck. The light tends to scatter and become useless in a shorter distance than hid or halogen meaning you’ve got to use your high beam lights in situations you otherwise wouldn’t.

Personally I’m a HID fan, a good set installed properly in the correct housing provides killer visibility and the cut off is crisp enough the light stays low and out of others eyes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I think I'll give it a while to see if I can deal with the stock headlights (doubtful). I did find this blog: https://benscarblog.com/morimoto-d2s-4.0-hid-retrofit/ that I think I'll follow if/when I do end up upgrading my lights. When that happens I'll throw an update on here. It'll probably be a few months at least; gotta build up credit with my wife ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts