ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im going to pick up a set of plug and play hids tomorrow for my 06 wrx. just wondering, is there anything i need to do to prepare for the install? i think the stock headlights are already set up for the hids if im correct. also, where do most people mount there ballasts? and do they have to be mounted a certain way. looking for a nice clean install. oh ya, there h7 6k temp if that matters. any help would be awesome.

thanks,

-nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey, im going to pick up a set of plug and play hids tomorrow for my 06 wrx. just wondering, is there anything i need to do to prepare for the install? i think the stock headlights are already set up for the hids if im correct. also, where do most people mount there ballasts? and do they have to be mounted a certain way. looking for a nice clean install. oh ya, there h7 6k temp if that matters. any help would be awesome.

thanks,

-nick

Im in the same boat here.

·
Registered
327 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a fuddy duddy... it's best to do a projector swap, or swap the lights for the STI headlights. I did the full STI headlight swap, and it's just amazing, you are not going to get the same light distribution with the stock projectors from a 06 wrx. As far as mounting there is room behind each headlight, just have to be somewhat creative :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a fuddy duddy... it's best to do a projector swap, or swap the lights for the STI headlights. I did the full STI headlight swap, and it's just amazing, you are not going to get the same light distribution with the stock projectors from a 06 wrx. As far as mounting there is room behind each headlight, just have to be somewhat creative :)
can't agree more. on my '03, I had the JDM non HID projectors, put in some HIDs and man it sucked like you would expect a reflector with HIDs to. swapped em out and bam, looked perfect.

I now have an '04, and there is no reflector option so just bought some STi '04 lights and excellent light output, no random light everywhere

·
Registered
305 Posts
I put HIDs on my 08 and I've had no problems. The projector's handle it just fine and the cut off is perfect. The install is really not hard at all. Just make sure you use the rubber boot/grommet that comes with the plug n' play to make the housing compartment water tight. The ballast should be mounted in a place that is somewhat open and gets a little air flow. On my 08 there was a nice spot right on the frame. However on my Prolumen kit the ballasts are a little bigger then a stack of credit cards and I was able to use some heavy duty 3M double sided. I don't know how big your ballast are. You shouldn't have any problem. The one thing I have heard with 07' and earlier is that you have to disconnect your DRLs (which is fairly easy I think) or the HIDs will flicker. I didn't have this problem b/c my DRLs work off the high beam. Good luck.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
I was eyeballing under my hood thinking about exactly where I would mount the ballasts if I did pick up an HID kit.

Anyone with an 06-07 and an HID upgrade mind taking a picture of where they mounted the ballasts..... especially on the driver side.... really tight in there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was eyeballing under my hood thinking about exactly where I would mount the ballasts if I did pick up an HID kit.

Anyone with an 06-07 and an HID upgrade mind taking a picture of where they mounted the ballasts..... especially on the driver side.... really tight in there.
i second that, where are they mounted?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im going to be picking mine up in queens tonight. my friend just got his kit. seems like good stuff. comes with mounting hardware, zipties, etc. also, all the wires look of good quality and are nicely insulated.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Did you guys order your kits yet? Because the kit i have the ballasts are tiny.
I haven't got mine yet, but the one's I'm getting also have slim-line ballasts. They are ridiculously small. Makes you wonder why you would get anything esle!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just installed hids on my 07 impreza...before installing hids make sure to disable the daytime running lights because they will burn out the expensive bulbs or even fry the ballast..

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
i just installed hids on my 07 impreza...before installing hids make sure to disable the daytime running lights because they will burn out the expensive bulbs or even fry the ballast..
why? I know lots of people with HIDs and they always have their lights on.

what is the reason for this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i mean you can keep the drl's if you want but you have to keep the light switch in the "on" position at all times.. when the switch is off the hids tend to flicker because daytime running lights require less voltage but hids require a constant higher voltage at all times......disabling the drls on the 06 is different than on the 07 model...i disabled my drls about a month after because i noticed that the driver side was flickering

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not sure about the 07 but for 02-05 there is a plug behind the glovebox that you unplug. Ive got a kit from SharpHID and its awesome. It was 140 shipped and it comes twitht he slim ballast. I just have the stock lights for now but i havent had any issues with people flashing me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts