ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - actively looking to scoop a 5-door wrx-sti looking at 09-14 models.

Any advice or leads on one are welcome.

For now I will be searching the site and reading up on existing threads.

Cheers.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Sup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started looking for a good deal on a 5-door - seeing prices all over the place. Really want the sti trim and would love to learn more about getting on a track with it once I have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lot of them are over 100k - aside from the usual things to look for what kind of mileage do these things see before they’re problematic? I guess it depends on how hard they’re driven but on average....?

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
Personally? I would never buy a used STI unless I intimately knew the original owner.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,128 Posts
I might consider one even if my relationship with the owner was strictly platonic, but I do see your point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I took the plunge on a 2012 wrx-sti w/54k. Fun as all hell to drive and had a good 4 hr trek from the dealer - then the engine light came on ... on the drive home. Checked it at auto zone this morning - it threw 02 sensor codes. Had them replaced and hope that does the trick to pass inspection.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grab your ? and say I told you so - go on you know you want to.

So here goes the saga... after buying this 2012 in Norfolk Va and then driving it to DC - the logistics of which are a story unto itself - (missed bus transfers and an expensive Uber ride to the dealer from Richmond).... at least the driver was mad cool.

Come to find out that Rebuild titles require a different inspection - so after passing normal inspection and attempting to register - I learn that I gotta go through inspection again and the result of which is the tint has to come off and the airbag recalled.

I then go to Subaru only to have the thing over heat and throw more codes - resulting in replacing the thermostat and coolant sensors (which Subaru did along with the airbag recall - and provided me a loaner for free ??)... oh and the Airconditioning cycles on and off some kind of blockage. Anyway, after all that it still was having overheating issues and the dealer thinks it’s a warped head or brown head gasket or engine issue and that the motor has to get dropped. ???

Try to return it as the problems have mounted only to realize all sales are final and no returns and that the warranty covers 50/50 of the repair - but only if it goes back to the shop in Norfolk ?... 200 miles away and my insurance co. won’t tow it without charging me $980?! What the hell! Super disappointed in them. What do I pay them for?!

Luckily the shop owner is a cool guy and has people - working out the tow and repair with him ??It can be fixed. In for a penny in for a pound...

All that aside the thing is sweet and clean... can’t wait to get in it on the daily.

Anyone know about enthusiast days at a local track and what that entails / costs to do?

·
Premium Member
10,967 Posts
Sorry to hear about the plight, but this is why many strongly suggest getting prepurchase inspections done at independent shops that are familiar with Subaru.

·
Æternum
20,446 Posts
The Subaru community has been a bastion of ignorance over the last decade. Minimal research, rejection of fact, Instagram popularity, cheap parts. These all contribute to the reason I wouldn't buy a used STI.

Not to mention just straight up unethical behavior. Search the forum and you'll see plenty of examples of "BRO, my motor just blew, what do I do?" followed by "I guess I'll remove all my mods and claim warranty action."

It's very probable someone fucked that car up and traded it in knowing full-well the issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Subaru community has been a bastion of ignorance over the last decade. Minimal research, rejection of fact, Instagram popularity, cheap parts. These all contribute to the reason I wouldn't buy a used STI.

Not to mention just straight up unethical behavior. Search the forum and you'll see plenty of examples of "BRO, my motor just blew, what do I do?" followed by "I guess I'll remove all my mods and claim warranty action."

It's very probable someone fucked that car up and traded it in knowing full-well the issues.
aye so yeah I’ll agree with you that that is almost certainly what happened - (Cracked cylinder - ended getting a new short block)....

Still, that doesn’t change the fact that I now have the car and have gone too deep modding and fixing it to turn around now.

Anyway... a lot has changed on it since I bought it and I still love the car.

But ...ever since I’ve modded it to stage 2+ (Cobb OTS stage 2sf+ map), Cobb intake, as mentioned the car has been rebuilt w/ a new shortblock, Invidia highflow cat & 3” down pipe paired to a corsa catback exhaust - all sensors replaced, a 10 degree cooler temp racing mishimoto thermostat and mishimoto radiator - it’s still been over heating running at 235F w/ the temp guage around 3/4 of the way up on its way to max after 10 mins of driving.

At which point the AC gets warm and I swap it over to heat to help cool it off which it does and bring temps back down to 200’s. Water pump is working.

The exhaust head gasket leak test didn’t change color and I’ve burped the system, the oil is fine not losing coolant and no visible leaks - It’s driving me nuts and today the lower thermostat I put in threw a P0128 (coolant too cool or thermostat stuck open.) code
No leaks, it’s a new 10 degree cooler mishimoto thermostat ... which I thought would help.

- also after driving in the rain last week it freaked out and flashed the cruise control and sport “s” as well as check engine. Turning off the car and clearing the code got it to work again but the issue returns. Can’t select any of the drive modes or use cruise when it happens. It doesn’t appear to be a head gasket leak but I am ready to take it to Andrew tech.

If any of this sounds familiar or you have a suggestion for things to try I’m all ears and willing to roll up my sleeves to work on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts