ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all - I need advice on shopping for a WRX

Hi everyone!

I'm currently looking for a used WRX. I'm coming from an e36 3 series where the engines will last 200,000 - 300,000 miles if you take care of them.

Is the WRX like that? I can't afford a new one, so I'm looking at used ones, but I am hesitent to buy one with high miles because of what people have said with the trannys, clutches, turbos, etc.

If I were to find a stock one, how high mileage is too high? What would you stay away from? Is this a car that I can buy, be religious about the maintenance, and then not worry about it dying on me at 80,000 miles?

Thanks so much - I'm really excited about getting into the AWD club. Any other advice for buying besides mileage numbers would be really appreciated.

And you've got a great site here from my few days of reading through posts! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Welcome to the club. :)

I think that if you find a used WRX that had a caring owner you should have no problem getting 200,000 miles out of it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Hi there and welcome.
if it was me. look for a non-modified car. realize some return these back to stock. But over all I love these cars. only one problem with the car and it was taken care of under warrenty. I drive the hell out of the car and do so everyday. No reliability issues that I have encoutered as of yet. as far as the trans. Anything ove stage 2 will require new gears.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
Anything ove stage 2 will require new gears.
I don't think this is true in all cases. There are a number of people who are running aftermarket turbos putting 300+hp and 300+tq to the wheels. If you drive the car like a normal human being the tranny should be fine.

·
Registered
956 Posts
that a good size gamble if thats your only car. as a small mistake could cost you $2000. better safe then sorry. As well if you want the power to the ground. thats what it takes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies so far guys - seriously, I don't know the first thing about turbo engines, (i'm an N/A guy) so when you talk about being wary if someone put a big turbo on, or all these pipes and things, and then removed them, I wouldn't know what the first thing to look for would be.

If I buy a 2002, should I try to keep the mileage under 50,000? Is that excessive? Are the transmissions the same throughout all the years?

What are tell - tale signs someone has modded it or has launched it hard? I basically have one shot to get a good one - I really just want a solid, stock WRX that won't blow up on me when i'm in medical school 3 years from now.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
When you really need to feel the tranny and how it shifts. Maybe test drive a new one and then drive the used one so you have a feel for the difference.

As far as modding and then taking it back to stock, that's really tough. I guess one tell tale sign would be if there is a heat shield over the turbo. A lot of times people remove ro trim these when they install a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
hybrid gti 2 said:
that a good size gamble if thats your only car. as a small mistake could cost you $2000. better safe then sorry. As well if you want the power to the ground. thats what it takes.
I am definitely not going to argue that it's a very smart and safe thing to do when modding. I am just saying that I don't think that it is a must have until you are in the 300whp range. It would a good to have below 300whp. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts