ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2017 legacy love the car but I’m going to pass it down to my wife this up coming December. I either want to get an s3 or a wrx but the thing is that if I go for a wrx it’ll have to be cvt since where i live and work is none stop traffic. Any opinion on what I should do lol thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,111 Posts
I'd not buy the S3. It is a VAG product so it's rubbish, and it has the wrong number of cylinders.

I very nearly bought the RS3 instead. It's a lot more expensive, just as unreliable, looks basically the same as the S3 (or any rental car I suppose) but it's got an absolutely FANTASTIC straight 5. No it won't run (I'd be shocked!) but did I mention it's got a straight 5? And the front wheels are wider than the rears? Also, it's got a straight 5.

If you're going to buy a VAG, and you insist (like I did -- I had the $ ready to roll but the dealer was a bit of a jackass so it didn't happen), I'd say go all in and get a straight 5 RS3. Then sell it one week before the warranty is up. Since your wife will have your existing Subaru (and most Audi dealers will give you a loaner anyway) you won't be a pedestrian while the RS3 is in the shop... again... so it's no issue there.

I don't know much about the newer WRX variants. Perhaps I'm dating myself but I find it difficult to distinguish them from other cars visually, so I may have seen more of them but not realised it. (This is certainly not the case for my bugeye, in contrast, and I kinda miss the days when Subaru were selling oddly shaped appliance vehicles for well-meaning dorks who couldn't afford Saabs but didn't want to be embarrassed outside Trader Joe's -- now the Civic crowd has taken over it seems).

Look at RS3. 5 cylinders.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd not buy the S3. It is a VAG product so it's rubbish, and it has the wrong number of cylinders.

I very nearly bought the RS3 instead. It's a lot more expensive, just as unreliable, looks basically the same as the S3 (or any rental car I suppose) but it's got an absolutely FANTASTIC straight 5. No it won't run (I'd be shocked!) but did I mention it's got a straight 5? And the front wheels are wider than the rears? Also, it's got a straight 5.

If you're going to buy a VAG, and you insist (like I did -- I had the $ ready to roll but the dealer was a bit of a jackass so it didn't happen), I'd say go all in and get a straight 5 RS3. Then sell it one week before the warranty is up. Since your wife will have your existing Subaru (and most Audi dealers will give you a loaner anyway) you won't be a pedestrian while the RS3 is in the shop... again... so it's no issue there.

I don't know much about the newer WRX variants. Perhaps I'm dating myself but I find it difficult to distinguish them from other cars visually, so I may have seen more of them but not realised it. (This is certainly not the case for my bugeye, in contrast, and I kinda miss the days when Subaru were selling oddly shaped appliance vehicles for well-meaning dorks who couldn't afford Saabs but didn't want to be embarrassed outside Trader Joe's -- now the Civic crowd has taken over it seems).

Look at RS3. 5 cylinders.
thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I currently have a 2017 legacy love the car but I’m going to pass it down to my wife this up coming December. I either want to get an s3 or a wrx but the thing is that if I go for a wrx it’ll have to be cvt since where i live and work is none stop traffic. Any opinion on what I should do lol thanks in advance!

Did you consider the CLA35 or CLA45 AMG? The 45 has a fair amount of pop and can be a blast to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As a cvt owner the car is an ass load of fun to drive. Really not sure why they're shunned upon by some.. anyways I'm not sure if the newer cvts act differently than 4 year old one, but. Whatever you choose, good luck 👌

1 - 5 of 5 Posts