Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, before I get flamed for asking WhAtS wRoNG wItH mY cAr, ive tried reading so many pages and threads and different websites, everybodies different solution to their issue and personally nothing seems to work..bare with me through this please, I appreciate any and all help.

2002 WRX, 330whp - 18gxt blouch ,750 dw injectors , 500cc meth injector, tial 38mm ewg with grimmspeed uppipe, Perrin front mount yadda yadda. Original motor and tranny- completely stock in that aspect.

So the problem began after I cleaned my maf sensor with CNC maf sensor cleaner. As ironic as it is my truck had a maf sensor code and I cleaned it, and the code went away. Great. Thought It couldn't hurt if I just cleaned the one on my WRX as I've heard people do it from time to time to help with idle. So I took the two screws out, cleaned my maf sensor , let it dry and reinstalled. Thinking about it after I may have sprayed too much and got it soaked, but just read on for now. Took the car for a ride and no longer was able to drive as the car jerks sputters and hesitates , dumps gas runs super rich. I had the car tuned a month or two before this all happened and I drove the car hard for the month or two, so it shouldn't be tune related as it was all good until I touched the maf sensor.
Keep in mind the car has absolutely NO ENGINE CODES, but I'm not sure if that's because my tuner may have turned off certain ones that could indicate where my problem lies. But I'm not too sure.
So my issue is I cant step on the pedal, in any gear, pretty much any rpm as long as it has load the car HATES it and it's like someone's pulling it backwards with a rope as I try to accelerate. It will begin to sputter and tries to build boost as it jerks violently , backfires and runs super rich. I've replaced just about everything I could think of after hearing solutions and symptoms and what worked for others and I still haven't been able to figure it out.
Replaced all new coilpacks over the last year( 2 at seperate times but all are now new )
Replaced spark plugs 3 times with the same NGK one step colder iridiums that it was tuned on.
Tried a cheap rockauto maf sensor to make sure that wasn't the issue.Also tried a friends known working maf sensor to make sure I didn't get a defective one from rockauto as I heard afterwards that could be an issue.
I noticed 3 of my maf sensor wires were cracked up by the sensor, so bought a new pigtail online and spliced it in, didn't change problem persists.
Had a new o2 put in end of 2017 and hardly drove it then, so it's had a year and a bit on it and I wouldn't expect it to go out that fast.
New Subaru OEM crank position sensor
New Subaru OEM camshaft position sensor
New Subaru OEM fuel pressure regulator
New Subaru OEM fuel filter
I've replaced my throttle body with a used one off eBay that had all the sensors and iacv on it as I stripped the threads on my iacv when I was reinstalling after cleaning. Car ran the same with both throttle bodies so I don't think it has to do with the sensors on that either.
I reflashed my map 3 times onto the car incase the ecu was maybe acting finicky or something and praying I'd get lucky..no dice.
Reset the car a few times obviously .
I had the car checked for vac leaks or boost leaks at a buddies but I was not present, he said there was a few minor ones but he fixed them up for me. Hoping he was correct.
I did a compression test twice when I was replacing spark plugs . Came up 150+ on a cold engine.
I replaced the clutch a week or two before cleaning the maf sensor, had the tranny out ( may be worth noting anyways) but wasn't driving it hard after putting in the new clutch as I wanted to break it in.
Have not done a leakdown test as the local Subaru dealership here doesn't want to work on my car , claiming it is too modified even tho they've worked on it plenty of times. They don't care, but I was hoping they were going to be able to help me out after all I've replaced .... Nothing works .
I also may have replaced more but this is all I can think of on the too of my head, and this problem happened before I put the car away for winter and it is now almost spring haha. Hoping to get it going good again.

May be completely unrelated but worth noting ,I had a problem on my way to my tune (15 hour drive on basemap 4k rpm tune ) I had a cpl of my aem gauge wires burn off my headers that ran into my oil pan, so needless to say the sensors stopped working but I didn't bother to look for the remainder of the trip after I knew they were burnt. It also mustve been grounding out or arcing out somewhere under there. I've since then removed it all and only run the accessport for engine management.

Car ran flawlessly for my 15 hour drive back from the tune, and for the month or two I was driving until I just had to clean the maf sensor. It may be completely unrelated to the actual issue and this just started it, I'm not sure but I'm hoping someone else might have any ideas , I'm all ears... Thanks!

Edit:the only last thing I could think of is a stuck injector possibly but I had them cleaned and flow tested before installed, as they weren't brand new to begin with. Think this could really be causing me all these problems?

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Check all the wiring to the maf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check all the wiring to the maf
. As in undo all the loom around the wiring that runs beside the turbo into the cabin? Upfront by the sensor the wires had a couple cracks and I was sure that was the last thing it could be, but replaced a new pigtail with no tears to no avail. Do you mean using a multimeter ?

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Pulling it all would be my last move but a multimeter would be a good start. What happens if you start it without the maf sensor plugged in

I will warn you. I am not an electrical guru, but your symptoms reek of sensor issue or ground. It also wouldn't hurt to check for an airflow leak after the maf sensor. It would have to be huge though although I doubt it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I did read something about TGV deletes sometimes playing a part with grounding issues, and ironically my intake manifold and TGV deletes are painted. Could be that. As for the maf sensor I'm not sure what values are supposed to be what for which wires, and tbh I only know basic basic knowledge with a multimeter lol. I'll take a look at the grounds maybe sand them down more and give it a shot. in the back of my head I still think it could be an injector stuck open or something so it's always just dumping , idc was pretty high from the logs I took before winter.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Do you have the right tune for your deletes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have the right tune for your deletes?
correct ,everything I had installed was installed previous to my tune. Was able to drive there on a base map my tuner provided, and had no issues going there before the tune or driving home 15 hours after the tune . Everything was accounted for in the tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not like it makes a difference but here is the dyno sheet for reference; it ran phenomenal for me and it was a blast. I have a video to show exactly what it's doing but I'm still new to knowing how to post anything up , as I only read the threads for years didn't make an account.
Edit: nvm I can't figure out how to get anything to post.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
How long ago was the tune done

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was june-july of last year , about a month or two prior to the issue starting, and then I put the car away for winter and drove my truck. It sat there all winter while I tried reading up on possible solutions. Now id like to drive it again but obviously can't because I left it for my future self. Shouldn't have anything to do with the tune as far as I'm concerned. Ill try loading on my old map just for peace of mind even.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
It was june-july of last year , about a month or two prior to the issue starting, and then I put the car away for winter and drove my truck. It sat there all winter while I tried reading up on possible solutions. Now id like to drive it again but obviously can't because I left it for my future self. Shouldn't have anything to do with the tune as far as I'm concerned. Ill try loading on my old map just for peace of mind even.
I just wanted to make sure you didn't just get the tune.

Does the car run with the maf unplugged

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So i knew this from before just wanted to make sure again, went and started it with it unplugged, revved it up, it doesn't break up and sputter and it seemed to rev to 6000 rpms no problem, which it won't with it plugged in. I also unplugged the sensor while running, first time it acted like it was about to die, then caught itself and was still running, so I plugged it back in while running still, and unplugged again, this time it failed to start back up itself and died. I'll bet if I was to take a drive it'll boost no problem as that's what it did before I put it away.
I also don't know if it'll still do this , but ,before with the maf plugged in , and accelerating hard through the sputter and hesitation (which I might add was horrendous and hate doing but had to see) and it pulls hard almost normal as if nothings wrong after 5000 ish rpms. I can try later or tomorrow if it'll still do it.

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Look up those specific symptoms. That'll guide you. I recall vacuum leaks being one cause, but i can't say for certain

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Look up those specific symptoms. That'll guide you. I recall vacuum leaks being one cause, but i can't say for certain
trust me man I've looked since October haha . I'm not sure at this point, hence actually making a thread

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
trust me man I've looked since October haha . I'm not sure at this point, hence actually making a thread
Ok I'm not near my computer or I'd do some sleuthing for you.

When you Google removal of maf there should be a lot of threads about running smoother without it across platforms. My thought is either the maf, wiring to it, or vacuum leaks. What you said about the wiring points me toward that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I'm not near my computer or I'd do some sleuthing for you.

When you Google removal of maf there should be a lot of threads about running smoother without it across platforms. My thought is either the maf, wiring to it, or vacuum leaks. What you said about the wiring points me toward that.
I fixed the cracked wires up by the sensor plug. Could still be the wiring none the less, and I'll keep reading

·
Super Moderator
10,921 Posts
Good luck. I hate electrical anything.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,585 Posts
Silly question: Do you have the STOCK INTAKE? And whether you do or don't, WHICH WAY does the MAF sensor face? It *must* face forward, to the nose of the car. And since you have an IC, I wonder if you have the MAF facing the wrong way? Sorry to be daft, just trying to see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Silly question: Do you have the STOCK INTAKE? And whether you do or don't, WHICH WAY does the MAF sensor face? It *must* face forward, to the nose of the car. And since you have an IC, I wonder if you have the MAF facing the wrong way? Sorry to be daft, just trying to see what happens.
haha no worries any suggestion helps really but sadly I checked already , it's a Perrin short ram tho and wires face towards the front of the car with the sensor plugged in . If that makes sense

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,585 Posts
It does make sense. And you’re mapped for the intake?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts