ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to zone in on all things wrx/wrx sti
Is this the right place to be 100% confident in my education to make offers on vehicles and still leave room to fix what might be wrong?

This journey is a 100% commitment.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,758 Posts
Good luck. People will pay stupid prices for these things readily. I sold my 2011 for more than i paid for it, and almost as much as it was new after 100k miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look at the focus rs market and am.still shocked that people.think its way over $30,000 car. I'm not to be fooled

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,973 Posts

·
28,973 Posts
The hatch has dampers for the rear 5th door that can fail.

·
Premium Member
10,758 Posts
Besides what is listed nope. I know it needs to have a custom tune for the intake and intercooler. The timing belt, pulleys and tensioners will need changed.

·
28,973 Posts
Any recalls that I need to look for? If so which years and what are the issues?
What info did the NHTSA give you? Please repost that here.

·
Premium Member
10,758 Posts
Should I pass on this then?
Depends on the liability and money you are willing to put on the table. My wrx saw 100+k hard miles and I still see the new owner driving around in it from time to time. I had the advantage of having the money to address issues quickly and completely.

I also took immaculate care of that car, something sadly my jeep hasn't seen.

This is my honest recommendation for you at this stage in shopping. Evaluate how much you are willing to invest in the vehicle. Is the possibility of an engine failure and the 8k dollar repair bill something you are ok with? If so is it possibly worth using that money to purchase a vehicle that is new and under warranty? For example if you are willing to spend 15k and don't mind replacing an engine if it fails at costs that can approach 10k you are near the investment of a new wrx with the advantage of a warranty.

Perhaps, like me, you have a hard-on for the hatch and have to have one. It may in that case be worth finding something newer 2013 or 14 that's unmodified. It'll cost more but if you do your due diligence and verify a maintenance history you may well end up better off and cheaper in the end.

If you don't mind me asking. What kind of money are you looking to spend. The turbo Subaru vehicles can be finicky and repairs costly. Perhaps there is a better option if you are looking for an inexpensive vehicle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The WRX / STi are good platforms. They have decent reliability when left stock. I would not buy any car that has been modified (period). If you are buying a car to modify, please be sure that you have another car to drive when it is broken and that you have the extra cash to repair it when it does break. I get it that modification bug can bite you and it is an affliction that will negatively impact your bank account.

True statement: If I hadn't pi$$ed away all of that money on cars, through the years, I could have retired to the South of France 10 years ago.

·
28,973 Posts
Avignon is really nice, very relaxing.

However honestly I also like Marseilles — it’s crowded and just the right amount of busy to seem alive.

I could go for bouillabaisse about now!

·
2,564 Posts
True statement: If I hadn't pi$$ed away all of that money on cars, through the years, I could have retired to the South of France 10 years ago.
If I did that, I'd have a fully restored Citroën 2CV and the Maserati powered Citroën SM next to my rural cottage. God, I wanted one of those when they first came out!

·
Registered
269 Posts
If I did that, I'd have a fully restored Citroën 2CV and the Maserati powered Citroën SM next to my rural cottage. God, I wanted one of those when they first came out!
My problems started with a string of British cars. Lotus, Triumph and then the odd Saab. Oh well, retirement is looming. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that one of those rusting heaps in my garage starts. I actually just returned from a little drive. I was able to coax the Bucket of Bolts into life and just drove around a bit.

·
28,973 Posts
My problems started with a string of British cars. Lotus, Triumph and then the odd Saab. Oh well, retirement is looming. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that one of those rusting heaps in my garage starts. I actually just returned from a little drive. I was able to coax the Bucket of Bolts into life and just drove around a bit.
I remember fondly a brown Triumph Herald with a Bic pen used as an ersatz turn signal stalk and a D-cell battery boom box as the in-car entertainment. Epic.

In the "cool car" thread I posted a pic of a 2CV for which I inquired within (literally; outside a body shop in Europe with its wings missing but the bits were all there and it could pass tech inspection and get plates no problem).

A friend had an SM when I was an undergrad. The kind of car that builds character.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts