Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at a 2003 subaru wrx for sale about 3 hours away from where I live, I was scheduled to look at the car but before I made it down it was discovered that the head gaskets were leaking or some other issue and so the owner had them all replaced and upped the price from the 7000+ to closer to 8000 or above. I was wondering if the car is still worth it and if so how do I prove that it’s worth it to my parents (they’d be paying for the car up front and I’d be paying them back as I earn the money, taking over a year to do so.) Below is a list of upgrades made to the car and some pics, please let me know!
•JDM ej207 v7 STI engine in place of stock
•new aftermarket headlights
•aftermarket catback exhaust
•modified street legal downpipe

It is also known that the fog lights and horn don’t work ( the owner claims it’s simply an issue of the fuse or wires not being hooked up and wouldn’t required much effort to fix)
The vehicle body has almost 200,000 miles on it while the engine has less than 90k. The car seems really clean I just wanted some help deciding to pursue it or if i’m being scammed.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
If you can't buy it on your own, afford to fix the problem with the vehicle, afford to find and buy parts for an engine that has zero support in the US, including the ECU required to run it.

No. Buy an Accord or Civic. I wouldn't touch JDM anything. The engines are often dubious, and ones that are known for certain to be good and with a known history are often several times more expensive than a USDM engine.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
38,620 Posts
It's a nice-looking bugeye, I get it, but I agree with XJman..seems like there are risks and unknowns here that could bite you.

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
It's a nice-looking bugeye, I get it, but I agree with XJman..seems like there are risks and unknowns here that could bite you.
Ray nailed it much more directly than i did. There is a lot of unknown with a swapped vehicle, one that isn't exactly cheap to repair.

As a young person I'd rather have a cheap attractive vehicle than a broken down one i can't afford to repair. I can try and suggest as a young driver not buying a car like this because of the total lack of responsibility, but I know it's a losing battle. This car is capable of killing anyone, and more likely to kill someone young that wants that fast car.

·
Æternum
15,864 Posts
There are plenty of responsible starter cars.

I'm chuckling at the nerve of someone to "up the price" for a 17 year old vehicle after fixing a busted head gasket. Especially at $8000.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
It always gets me when people say "it won't take much effort to fix" when they are selling a car with known problems -- it's borderline insulting.

I've got more than two brain cells to rub together. Why the hell would I believe that? If it's easy to fix, why hasn't it been fixed?

The seller is "busy" usually. Doing what?

Or the seller can't be arsed. OK -- so if you won't fix something simple, we are to believe you've maintained the car and fixed everything else, except that "simple" thing that you now won't?

It's just an annoying way to try and sell cars. I'd not buy from someone like that -- maybe I'm being too picky, IDK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts