ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My ERZ gaskets were pretty much Junk. So I went to Subaru today to get OEM replacements. The Gasket they gave me for the turbo side of the pipe doesnt fit like the ERZ Gasket. After looking at the pictures of the uppipe gaskets from subydude.com I saw that the 2 uppipe gaskets that are needed were the same exact 2 that I bought today from subaru. So could I use the one even though it doesnt fit the entire flange?

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
yeah it's not supposed to. The ERZ (see cheap atteampt as assket) goes under the turbo support that attaches to the block where as the CORRECT oem one doesn't.

OEM = right
ERZ = better off with tinfoil.

·
Registered
476 Posts
like Brian said, ERZ gaskets are worthless. I think very few people have used them and had no leaks. That OEM gasket doesn't look right on the ERZ flange, but it mates up to the turbo perfectly. I wish i went back and bought all OEM gaskets....leaks are a b**#@

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your help. Im definitely glad I bought the right ones, because the only subaru that had them was about an hour away. Im doing the install tomorrow ill let you all know how it goes, thanks again.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I use the ERZ gaskets when I put the up-pipe on!! It is very good, no any bad issue. I don't know why people don't want to use that!!!!!!!!!!! :wiggles: :wiggles: :wiggles:

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
ok so you're one of 3 that haven't had problems yet with theirs.

For the minimal price of the 5 ply gaskets you can get from soa it's money well spent if you don't have to go in and rip the uppipe off again to replace the gasket when it starts leaking. It looks as if they just used that gasket maker crap that they sell in sheets and cut it out from that. That'd be the last thing I'd put pre-turbo. Perhaps dp-catback or axleback gasket.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with Brian, from what I hear the install is a pain in the ass. Id rather just buy new gaskets. You can see in the posted pic that the ERZ gasket didnt look to impressive. The actual piping and the welds on the Up are great though, the gaskets were my only concern but that problem was easily solved.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I never saw an ERZ gasket. It looks like the composite one that can be used on the catback side of a dp. Is that true?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
That's a graphite gasket. I had one (from a different company, but same material) on the uppipe/turbo and never had a problem with it (15-20k miles). When I went to swap my turbo I had to replace it (which you should do anyway) but while it was on it sealed great. I don't blame you for not wanting to use it though, it definitely isn't confidence inspiring to see or feel, but it does work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Go to any auto parts store and look for "spray a gasket" or Permatex Hi temp. Ask the counter guy and he'll take you right to it. It's cheap and ensures you're not going to leak. While our gaskets provide a very positive seal, I won't install any exhaust gasket without sealant. Also, heat cycling will loosen bolts MUCH faster than you believe. If you don't retorque the bolts, your system will almost always leak, regardless of which gasket you use.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Got my Crucial Racing copper gaskets today, and they look great. Ill let you guys know how they work when I put them in along with my new up/dp monday or tuesday.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Crucial Racing said:
Go to any auto parts store and look for "spray a gasket" or Permatex Hi temp. Ask the counter guy and he'll take you right to it. It's cheap and ensures you're not going to leak. While our gaskets provide a very positive seal, I won't install any exhaust gasket without sealant. Also, heat cycling will loosen bolts MUCH faster than you believe. If you don't retorque the bolts, your system will almost always leak, regardless of which gasket you use.
Retorquing a must after an up pipe install? How about other exhaust components?

·
Registered
675 Posts
It actually depends on how much temperatures fluxuate in your exhaust set up. When metal is heated it expands, and when it cools it contracts, so everytime you start it up and push the car, then cools down, the bolts, will also expand and contract loosening them every so often. Check every so often just to be safe, but they usually tend to be the source of up pipe leaks. I just ordered the Crucial Racing Up Pipe and their new Divorced Down pipe :) which are gorgeously ceramic coated, which helps keep temps down and hopefully in turns negates a lot of the temperature fluxations that happen in normal steel downpipes and up pipes, so I'll write a review on those, but yeah, torque your bolts, but to the right torque specs, the last thing you want to do is have a nice up pipe and warp the flange because you were trying to tighten the balls out of it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
33,822 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I’m waiting for my post holiday finances to improve (just paid 6 months of car insurance and bought a snow thrower too) and the weather to warm, then I’ll go for an up & downpipe.

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
Crucial Racing said:
Hey guys, what are some advantages of the copper gaskets over the STD oem gaskets. Is this a new product?

THanks
_B

1 - 20 of 42 Posts