ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for a daily driven summer tire for agressive drivng. maybe autox every once in a while. i dont want to pay a arm and leg so i found a few choices and i wanted to know if anyone has them here. i think im going to go with 225/45/17 for my 06 wrx, this seems to be what most people go with.

first, the kuhmo MX

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+MX

seems like a great tire for the money, it would be $456 shipped to my door.

next is the falken FK-452

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=225&pc=18546&typ=Passenger/Performance&rd=17&ar=45&tc=FALHZB

comes to $412 shipped, seems like a good buy also, but some people say they could get loud after the first 10k miles? anyone hear of this?

last is the nitto NT NeoGen ZR

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=225&pc=40218&typ=Passenger/Performance&rd=17&ar=45&tc=NITHZ6

i only had the first two tires in mind, untill i cam across these. this would come to an impressive $376 to my door. the reviews seem to be the best out of all the choices. but, almost all of the reviews are from people with fwd cars. there is one person with a wrx that reviewed, but was positive.

so what does everyone think about my choices? keep in mind, i want to keep at this roundabout price range. im not sure which one i should go for so opinions are welcome.

thanks,

-nick

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've heard from many people that those Falkens get loud after a lot less than 10k miles.

What about the Yokohama AVS ES100? I think Yokohama makes some of the better rubber for the money out there. The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 is also an excellent tire.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Eagle F1GS-D3 on my 350Z - I will be buying another set when these are worn

Potenza RE-01R - I've got them on my WRX summer rims, but haven't driven on them yet - still, they came highly recommended and I've read good reviews on them

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've heard from many people that those Falkens get loud after a lot less than 10k miles.

What about the Yokohama AVS ES100? I think Yokohama makes some of the better rubber for the money out there. The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 is also an excellent tire.

well if thats def the case i prob wont get the falkens. both the yokohoma and dunlops seem like decent tires, but there more expensive than the kuhmo and nitto, and seem to have worse reviews....

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eagle F1GS-D3 on my 350Z - I will be buying another set when these are worn

Potenza RE-01R - I've got them on my WRX summer rims, but haven't driven on them yet - still, they came highly recommended and I've read good reviews on them

both the eagle and the potenza look like real good tires, just out of my price range.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say this:

if street use > autox use, Falken FK-452

if street use = autox use, Hankook RS2 Z212

if autox use > street use, Dunlop Direzza Z1

All these tires should be affordable.
i was looking into the hankooks and they seem like a great tire. the cheapest so far i found was 487 shipped. this is more than i wanted to spend but if there that much better than my choices, i guess i should go for it. does anyone know a good site to buy them off? tire rack doesnt carry them, and tire discount has to special order for 124 a tire.

thanks,

-nick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts