ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car received some hail damage over the last week, and the last part to my puzzle of fixing it will be the roof.

I have searched forever but cannot find a reliable answer anywhere. Basically, the way i understand it is that you can remove the headliner and get to it that way, however, none of the sources i read from had a factory moonroof.

Does anyone have a few tips to get me started, and would this be something a few buddies could do over a weekend, or should i leave it to the pros.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
you mean removing the head liner and hammering the dents back out from inside the car?

If so, the headliner is just a little different to remove....mainly you just have a few more screws to get the map light section removed and whatnot. with the sunroof closed, the dent removal process should be about the same.

As you are likely trying to not need paint, for the inside hammering, I would use a light dead-blow hammer and a body hammer with a nylon head. However, you are also going to need someone on the outside with a dolly of some sort to keep you from turning the dent into a bump. The trick is to find a dolly that will be hard enough to stop you from deforming the metal, but not scratch the paint (most body working dollies are made of metal, which could damage the paint).

This could be done with a few buddies on a weekend...if you and your buddies are moderately talented with metal work, or generally handy guys. If not, leave it to the pros.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
OH....wait.....you are replacing the roof, not doing dent repair.....

that is likely going to be more difficult for amateurs, unless you are moderately skilled with auto and body repair type work.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was looking to do either or. i was going to first attempt to do the dent repair, but i didnt know if the roof would be accessable to do a repair if i just took the headliner out.
If a new oem panel was inexpensive, i wouldnt be against it.

There are about 30-40 dents on the roof... Its not a ton but its definately doable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts