ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2700 miles, faint high pitch ringing in all gears when decelerating or maintaining 4100-4800 rpm. Happens also in neutral. Noise is not present when accelerating through that powerband. Sounds kind of like a pulley or belt... Any ideas, first dealer service coming up. Not sure what I should make sure they check. Pisses me off cause I want to go to an ots tune this spring, but I'm holding off till I know the car is ok. Thanks for any input

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Take it into the dealer.
+1. Considering the recent drop in temps, I suspect a belt. Does it go away after driving for a while? Did you try spraying? If not, I bet they will.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appointment booked. Noise doesn't fade after extended driving. I'm hesitant to spray the belt because its not squeaking or squealing. based on sound I'm thinking Maybe a faulty tensioner or pulley. I'm hoping nothing serious is wrong

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
When its doing it, does the ringing sound "fluttery" or constant?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pretty much constant, i can hear it very faintly outside the range of 4100-4500, but its audible much more apparently in that rpm range. I do notice that if i transition to light throttle the noise seems to dissapear. I wonder if something is resonating, i know our clutches/flywheels are very noisy for a stock car. my cobalts exedy 6 puck wasnt much louder.

I get that classic my09 deceleration noise when in 2nd below 2000rpm. I can put up with these noises if they are normal, im realistic its not a BMW, and im willing to compromise. I just want to know that everything is working properly as i plan to have it much longer than i had my cobalt.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took car in, tech was able to reproduce the noise, but claimed that its harmless and somewhat normal, backlash in the transmission, not worth a teardown

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Cool, good to know. At least you have the peace of mind knowing that they've looked at it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts