ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided that I'm going to order a set of pads, and do the install myself. While speaking with my pops about ordering the new pads, he had mentioned my rotors may need to be 'cut' or something like that. (My dad has never owned a Subaru, and as he got older, like 35+ years old, he began having dealerships and mechanics working on his cars, so he doesn't know much about modern auto mechanics, so excuse me is the rotors needing to be cut was only a thing of the passed) So, therefore I'll be going to my dad's companies' mechanic to see if they need to be cut (if they don't need to be cut, hopefully I'm told before-hand so I don't waste my time driving over there)

any help or advise would be great, thank you.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
By "cutting", I think you are referring to "resurfacing". During normal brake operation over time, the pads will wear grooves into the rotors. This is normal, and not really a problem. However, when new pads are installed, these grooves won't align with the pads, and you often get adverse braking effects like pulling to one side or squealing. Resurfacing removes these grooves and can also help correct slight rotor warping, but obviously, it won't help grossly warped rotors. It's just a way of recycling rotors that still have enough thickness to use safely.

Usually for our cars, it's easier and more cost-effective to just replace the rotors with the pads. Stock "blank" rotors are cheap and work great. Of course, there are always more expensive options, but opinons vary on "slotted" vs. "drilled", etc.

All that being said, though, isn't your car less than a year old? Unless you've been taking daily excursions up and down the Matterhorn, I doubt you need new brakes already...

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does a new set of Rotors cost? I'm, at 14k miles and do need new pads, the tech said, "you sure went through these pads quick, almost as quick as me going through a pair in 10k miles."

Anyhow, Do you think my current rotors are still new enough to just swap the pads nd leave the rotors alone?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I'm not sure about your Brembos, but set of 4 stock rotors for my WRX are less than $100. If you've burned through the pads that quick, you probably need rotors too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
advice taken. Change of plans, I will not be doing my brakes myself, dropping it off at the mechanic tomorrow for new pads and rotors

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
You're car is relatively new, there is little sense in resurfacing the rotors. You will want to bed your pads when you install them. That is, take the car to 60 mph, break as hard as you can to 15 mph, accelerate to 60 mph and repeat. After about 5-6 iterations, your brakes will begin to fade and you'll smell the pads heating. This process will match the new pads to the surface of your rotors.

It goes without saying that you should bed your pads in a suitable location i.e. pick a long straight road at a time when no one is around. I re-bed my pads at approx. midnight. When your brakes begin to fade, your stopping distance will lengthen, so plan accordingly.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
You're car is relatively new, there is little sense in resurfacing the rotors. You will want to bed your pads when you install them. That is, take the car to 60 mph, break as hard as you can to 15 mph, accelerate to 60 mph and repeat. After about 5-6 iterations, your brakes will begin to fade and you'll smell the pads heating. This process will match the new pads to the surface of your rotors.

It goes without saying that you should bed your pads in a suitable location i.e. pick a long straight road at a time when no one is around. I re-bed my pads at approx. midnight. When your brakes begin to fade, your stopping distance will lengthen, so plan accordingly.
This is also really fun to do. :)

My brakes were smoking from all four wheels afterwards, and you could feel the heat a foot away. Just make sure to stop immediately once the fade sets in and let the brakes cool for a good 20-30 minutes. After that, you're set.

Doing it at night is a good idea. You'll be slamming on the brakes like your life depended on it, so you don't want to be in an area with someone behind you.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I'm not sure about your Brembos, but set of 4 stock rotors for my WRX are less than $100. If you've burned through the pads that quick, you probably need rotors too.
You're looking at about $100 an axle average for STIs. Cheapest would probably be Centric basics from KNSbrakes.com...

advice taken. Change of plans, I will not be doing my brakes myself, dropping it off at the mechanic tomorrow for new pads and rotors

I'm in the same train of thought as Zach...I don't think you need rotors at that stage.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So now i know everytime I need new pads my mechanic gets a chance to rip my car to 60, lock the brakes up, and repeat, hmm this makes me happy. hahahha sarcasm obviously. Anyhow, I'm gunna talk with my pop's when hes home later, get his oppinion, when it comes down to it, it's his car and his money.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
So now i know everytime I need new pads my mechanic gets a chance to rip my car to 60, lock the brakes up, and repeat, hmm this makes me happy. hahahha sarcasm obviously. Anyhow, I'm gunna talk with my pop's when hes home later, get his oppinion, when it comes down to it, it's his car and his money.
I think that's a wise idea. Also keep in mind, you could purchase parts separately, so you don't have to pay any dealer/mechanic cost, and then just have them do labor.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, well what I was going to do, was order a set of pads from Kronos, and me and my pops would get out in the garage this weekend and swap them, and if something went wrong, we would drop the car and new pads at our mechanic, but now that I may need to switch rotors, it may be a job out of my skill range completely. But not for long, I went today at 1:15 to Radical Motorsports on RT17 for an interview, and next september I start vocassional school there! they have some really cool vintage vehicles and some very top end maserati/ferrari/lamborghini and they even build a line of track race cars. I'm excited to get into the automotive industry and can't wait to learn how to work on cars.

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
Maybe, but I'm not sure that the mechanic will always bed your pads for you. It's common for them to have you bed your pads after the install.

Some mechanics actually take the rotors off of the car, place them on a rotating assembly and essentially grind the pads to match the rotors. They may also resurface the rotors as previously mentioned. It accomplishes the same task, but is no where near as much fun.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Couple of things to consider -

Doesn't your warranty cover your brake pads and rotors?

If not, it seems you might need a more suitable pad than stock. I'm not sure what is available for your car.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
out of curiosity....how the hell do you need pads already? You ridin tha brakes?

·
Æternum
20,959 Posts
I'm guessing he's looking to upgrade his pads.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Upgraded pads would be a nice luxury, but in the end its pop's decision, so whatever he thinks is the best call.

and yea, I tend to get on the brakes hard when I get on them. No flaming please, I've learned and my car is being treated much better then it was when I first got it.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Couple of things to consider -

Doesn't your warranty cover your brake pads and rotors?

If not, it seems you might need a more suitable pad than stock. I'm not sure what is available for your car.
I don't know that I've ever seen warranty cover pads, except those that cover maintenance as well, because of the whole "wear item" thing. As for rotors I have no idea.

As for replacing rotors in this instance, I certainly wouldn't. Like said above, just make sure the pads get bedded correctly and you should be golden.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know that I've ever seen warranty cover pads, except those that cover maintenance as well, because of the whole "wear item" thing. As for rotors I have no idea.

As for replacing rotors in this instance, I certainly wouldn't. Like said above, just make sure the pads get bedded correctly and you should be golden.
the tech actually told me that they aren't under warantee for new pads, but if I ride through the pads, and begin to ruin the brakes and rotors, then it will be covered by warantee.

I left there thinking to myself, "so they want me to completely gfrind my brakes away, that sounds safe."

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
the tech actually told me that they aren't under warantee for new pads, but if I ride through the pads, and begin to ruin the brakes and rotors, then it will be covered by warantee.

I left there thinking to myself, "so they want me to completely gfrind my brakes away, that sounds safe."
Well that certainly sounds iffy. It sounds like the rotors are at least covered then, but why would the pads be replaced under that condition and not under others? That makes zero sense.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts