ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am going to order all of the parts needed for my stage 4 on tuesday. I plan on getting the following all at once;

Forced performance 18G turbo- www.forcedperformance.com(?)
Turbo XS UTEC- www.turboxs.com
Turbo XS FMIC- www.turboxs.com
UTEC switch- www.turboxs.com
Power Enterprises 650 injectors- www.gruppes.com
Walbro fuel pump- www.gruppes.com

The questions I have are;

1) Do I need an intake or blow-off valve and if so what do you reccomend?

2) Is there any additional hardware I need, such as an electronic boost controller, etc.?

3) Since I will be doing this basically myself, does all the $H!T fit together w/o any major modification?

I plan on getting it tuned at Turbo XS or at least a VERY reputable TXS tuner. I want it all done by the end of the month and will greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.;)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
1. I would get a bov. Especially if you plan to run over 19lbs of boost. I would look into a plumb back system. Turbo smart is the one I use.

2. I use the boost controller from the utec and it works fine.

3.Should all fit just fine...Have fun :D . Do not tune it yourself though and do not go to Pruven... Go to xx.

4. You can use the txs short ram or any short ram for that matter.
But you will need to get rid of the stock air box.

Turboxs has a 2-3 month waiting list...No need just go to xx. Good luck its approx the same setup as mine...wonder where you got that idea :D

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I agree with everything 13sec said, cept if you have the cash, i'd throw in a sbc-id for boost. it tends to hold boost better towards redline, plus it's nice to be able to turn the boost up or down from inside the car.

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will keep everyone updated throughout the process since I am doing the build myself, with the help of some friends. I will start a thread when I begin with pics and sheeat so keep an eye out. Thanks for the advice 13sec, you should be the official spokesperson for Forced performance.;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yeah you'll need an intake, but I would look into the blitz unit maybe. I have the txs short ram and its alright, I just wanted one that was cheap and wouldn't make me run lean. I would have kept the stock airbox if I could have though.

Atmoshperic bov's can be a headache at times, I know this, a plumb back is definitely a good idea.

Will, where'd you get that turbosmart from?

edit: oh yeah, I agree with snowvert about the ebc, my car holds much better boost control since the addition of that, but I had decent boost control with the utec by ramping up the closed loop boost values as rpm increases. I got a pretty solid boost curve.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
Ok, I am going to order all of the parts needed for my stage 4 on tuesday. I plan on getting the following all at once;

Forced performance 18G turbo- www.forcedperformance.com(?)
Turbo XS UTEC- www.turboxs.com
Turbo XS FMIC- www.turboxs.com
UTEC switch- www.turboxs.com
Power Enterprises 650 injectors- www.gruppes.com
Walbro fuel pump- www.gruppes.com

The questions I have are;

1) Do I need an intake or blow-off valve and if so what do you reccomend?

2) Is there any additional hardware I need, such as an electronic boost controller, etc.?

3) Since I will be doing this basically myself, does all the $H!T fit together w/o any major modification?

I plan on getting it tuned at Turbo XS or at least a VERY reputable TXS tuner. I want it all done by the end of the month and will greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.;)
1) You'll want a BOV that can handle about 25psi. I recommend a turbosmart unit.

3) EBC would be nice, but and MBC will do ya too. You can use the UTEC for boost control as well.

4) Everything should fit fine. The 18g is hard to get passed the TGVs, so a TGV delete might be in order.

-Jim

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Re: **HELP with my 18G stage 4 setup... is this good?**

PPMotorsports said:

3) EBC would be nice, but and MBC will do ya too. You can use the UTEC for boost control as well.

-Jim
you may want to anticipate/consider getting an EBC (plug for: blitz sbc-id or profec B), even w/ the UTEC, as boost has been known to taper/dip up top.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
grab a blitz sus if you have the cash also, it'll be useful for yer setup. i'd look into dan's godspeed sus intake as well, as it's a modified version of the sus with better flow and a little cheaper.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm not sure I recommend that intake.. There's a thread on NASIOC about someone who just installed the SUS intake with his TurboXS FMIC... He can't close his hood, so he currently runs without one.

·
Registered
246 Posts
SouthPaw,

I just got done with the same install but with Sti Pink injectors. The 18g needed new fittings. The coolant lines were taped for 1/4" bolts, not the 5/16"s like on the stock. Also, the green bracket on the passenger side was truely a PITA. There is a bolt behind a black PVC (I think) sensor that is very hard to reach. The driver side was pretty easy. After the brackets are off, the injectors are really easy to change. On the fuel pump, be careful not to break the small plastic post the snap/lock ring goes on to hold the strain/filter.

I am still trying to tune mine to were it will run good. I think I am having trouble with the BOV. I am using a Greddy Type S. I don't think I have it adjusted enough to hold boost right, but I am also worried about compressor surge (backspin).

If anyone has a good map that I can look at for examples, it may help. I am trying to work with Dan at Godspeed (where I purchased the set-up), but he is usually very busy.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
jigga said:
I'm not sure I recommend that intake.. There's a thread on NASIOC about someone who just installed the SUS intake with his TurboXS FMIC... He can't close his hood, so he currently runs without one.
it's the same design as the blitz sus, since I guess you're refering to dan's modified blitz sus?

in either case, the blitz sus is a good intake, turbo xs' issue if their piping prohibits use of it.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'd just go with the TurboXS shorty intake. You're already going with all TXS stuff and it's designed to work better.

I personally dont like the SUS; the reason that you get more HP is because it filters less therefore flowing more air. It's only a couple more HP and I dont think that that is worth dirt and road crud getting into my engine.

·
Registered
827 Posts
weverb said:
SouthPaw,

I just got done with the same install but with Sti Pink injectors. The 18g needed new fittings. The coolant lines were taped for 1/4" bolts, not the 5/16"s like on the stock. Also, the green bracket on the passenger side was truely a PITA. There is a bolt behind a black PVC (I think) sensor that is very hard to reach. The driver side was pretty easy. After the brackets are off, the injectors are really easy to change. On the fuel pump, be careful not to break the small plastic post the snap/lock ring goes on to hold the strain/filter.
Deadbolt sells 18Gs with all the stuff needed for installation: "As with all our other oil and water cooled turbos, this one comes WITH hard metal coolant supply lines which mount in the same direction as the factory style Subaru lines, Banjo bolts, Banjo bolt seals, oil return line, oil return line gasket, and stainless steel downpipe studs making it ready to install." They are also ceramic coated and are ported more than FP's.
http://deadboltspeed.com/zilla.html

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I JUST ORDERED MY FMIC AND UTEC!!!!!! :D

The 18G gets orderd next monday along with the injectors, fuel pump, intake, and BOV. My Defi gauges are being installed thursday @ XX Tuning!!!:D :wiggles: :eek: :)

·
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My order w/ TXS is on hold.....

I am changing to Hyperflow FMIC and thinking about AEM for engine management.... Still goin w/ the 18G....ordering everything by Monday but I'm not sure if I want UTEC or AEM?!?!?!?!?:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts