ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my up pipe today and that took 2.5 hours... I'm never doing that ever again, but anyways, I'm thinking of getting a FMIC soon, as well as a VF34 turbo, and accessport stage 1.

my currents mods are Helix flex UP, HKS 3'' DP, apexi intake.

My first question , what FMIC would be the best for my car? Would the GREDDY FMIC be suffice? I just plan on keeping it a pretty quick daily driver, and going to the 1/4 mile track maybe once a month if that...... I would liek to run mid 13's consistently and safely. I live in arizona so its pretty damn hot.

Should I upgrade the radiator?

I just want to have a super RELIABLE car that runs mid 13's without changing anything big.... ie; injectors, things of that sort. but I eventually plan to get an RA 5 spd STI gearset.

If anyone could help me with suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
First, the AccessPort has different maps on it, so you can channge the map depending on your mods. With your current mods, you would be a Cobb Stage 2.

Second, a FMIC will not give you any noticeable gains, except maybe a little on the top end. In fact, you will notice increased turbo lag due to the longer IC piping.

A VF34 turbo upgrade will require bigger injectors and a stronger fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
No offense, but your mod priority is pretty messed up. You want to run a FMIC with accessport stage 1 and stock turbo?

First, if you are planning on using the accessport with it's pre-tuned maps, you have to follow the exact mods required for each map to the letter.

Second, in order to run any upgraded turbo, you have to have larger injectors and a bigger fuel pump.

Third, you can run 13's on set-up you have now by adding the Cobb Stage 2 map.

My suggestion to you is to order the accessport and install the Cobb Stage 2 map. You can run 13's all day long while keeping your reliability. If you still wan't a little more power, you can run the VF34, but you will need larger injectors, fuel pump, and a better downpipe. You can run the Cobb VF34 map with the stock intercooler, If you are going to get a FMIC, you probably need to get it custom tuned.

Edit: If you go with Cobb's off the shelf map, you will have to lose the intake too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the cobb accessport would I need to run a Wideband 02 sensor? because thats one of the things that kind of holds me back with buying the accesport. Being in different elevations messes up the maps doesnt it with the cobb? or would I be alright? because I travel from california to arizona somewhat frequently.

also, the FMIC wouldnt it help in cooling? or am I just wasting money if I do get it since I'm not creating enough power?

would a upgraded TMIC be better since it still uses the stock ic piping? and therefore wouldnt create turbo lag?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
No, I never heard of having to have a different 02 sensor with the accessport. Being in different elevations may affect performance, but not the mapping itself.

Like I said, when you run Cobb's off the shelf maps, you have to use pretty much the exact mods they list.
For the VF34, it would be the stock intercooler.

As far as running an upgraded TMIC with the stock turbo, you can, but you won't really see too much of a gain. You will also need a tuner to custom tune your car to take advantage of it.

See this page for Cobb's off the shelf maps

http://www.cobbtuning.com/wrx/accessport/

·
Registered
514 Posts
You live in Arizona man it has some of the best Subaru tuners anywhere. Visit DynoComp in Scottsdale, also try Kingpin, and ForcedAirTech. DynoComp and Kingpin both have access to dynos and can tune your car right fro arizona to your specifications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts