ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2002 WRX Wagon. I have a need for replacing the engine and am having a bit of trouble with making sure I'm going to make a smart purchase for my replacement. I am on a limited budget so this does factor in, however I would spend the right amount for something I knew was going to work 100%.

The latest one I have found is the one I'm considering buying, but I'm not sure if it's the right decision.
Here's the link:

Would you buy this engine? If not, can you find one you would buy?
TIA

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
If they can provide a warranty or guarantee and you are in dire need you won't have many choices. I'm suspect of piles of low mileage ej205s sitting around and think they are from salvage vehicles or Japanese origin.

Either way. Ask if they will compression test the engines and give you the results wet and dry.

Plan on more than that asking price to get it key turn ready. You'll want to change the timing belt, water pump, plugs, coils, and any gasket you can easily get to as well as pulleys, tensioners, probably check other hard to reach items before installing the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they can provide a warranty or guarantee and you are in dire need you won't have many choices. I'm suspect of piles of low mileage ej205s sitting around and think they are from salvage vehicles or Japanese origin.

Either way. Ask if they will compression test the engines and give you the results wet and dry.

Plan on more than that asking price to get it key turn ready. You'll want to change the timing belt, water pump, plugs, coils, and any gasket you can easily get to as well as pulleys, tensioners, probably check other hard to reach items before installing the engine.
If they are Japanese origin, will they still fit the same way a USDM would? Also how do I know whether these are from a manual or automatic transmission vehicle, and does that matter?
My WRX is a manual, but I imagine I would need a conversion kit if the replacement engine was from an automatic car. I am not super knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm going to do the replacement with some help from a friend, and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct replacement. Would you happen to know if that's the exact one I would need?
TIA

·
Premium Member
10,803 Posts
If they are Japanese origin, will they still fit the same way a USDM would? Also how do I know whether these are from a manual or automatic transmission vehicle, and does that matter?
My WRX is a manual, but I imagine I would need a conversion kit if the replacement engine was from an automatic car. I am not super knowledgeable when it comes to this kind of thing. I'm going to do the replacement with some help from a friend, and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct replacement. Would you happen to know if that's the exact one I would need?
TIA
I don't believe the transmission matters, if so it would boggle my mind. You may need to change the flex plate out for a flywheel but you will likely want to take a look at the clutch and flywheel at this point with everything out.

As far as the rest of it, if I'm not mistaken some of the jdm 205s had avcs where the usdm didn't.

·
Æternum
20,380 Posts
JDM EJ205s have AVCS, lack TGVs, are missing critical USDM emissions equipment, and in some cases are paired with a 32 bit ECU.

They are NOT a direct swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts