ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 WRX that I have just started modding.
Currently I have AEM CAI, HKS Cat Back (the hi-power). I have also put in a Blitz DC-II Turbo timer.
Two questions: First, the boost gauge function of the TT seems to be reading boost spikes when I come OFF WOT. Anyone heard of that?
And second, if I put a downpipe (and possibly an up pipe) on the car, will it make it crappy to drive any kind of distance (I live in SoCal)? Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
SchnorrCS said:
I have an 04 WRX that I have just started modding.
Currently I have AEM CAI, HKS Cat Back (the hi-power). I have also put in a Blitz DC-II Turbo timer.
Two questions: First, the boost gauge function of the TT seems to be reading boost spikes when I come OFF WOT. Anyone heard of that?
And second, if I put a downpipe (and possibly an up pipe) on the car, will it make it crappy to drive any kind of distance (I live in SoCal)? Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Crappy to drive? do you mean like a hearing a drone or causing a rough ride? It wont cause either one if thats what you were talking about. Unless you dont like hearing turbo when accellerating :D .

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's part of what I mean, but I'm also wondering if you think the exhaust/intake with no engine management upgrades will make the car run too lean. If so what do you think I should do to fix it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have read quite a bit about the CAI on the subies and it seems that most do not recommend this until you get really into the mods with engine management and all the goodies. Then they recommend a short ram intake not cai. It has been awhile so I can't remember why but you can find out by searching. hope this helps.

·
Registered
476 Posts
SchnorrCS said:
That's part of what I mean, but I'm also wondering if you think the exhaust/intake with no engine management upgrades will make the car run too lean. If so what do you think I should do to fix it?
Exhaust wont. Intake might but you need to get a short ram with the diameter the same as stock intake. Txs, blits sus, gp moto, and there's more but those are just a few that come to mind.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
SchnorrCS said:
Why all this get rid of the intake? CAI=colder air=denser charge=more power right?
first and foremost, you want to provide a ready and unrestricted track to the turbo.

CAIS are long and bendy. short, straight is optimal. your turbo is running at about 1000F. cool charge isn't going to do much. let the cooling happen at the IC, which is what it's designed for.

CAIS often distort the MAF too, which is not a good thing. stick with stock until you are at a stage 4, or at the very least custom tuned. at that poing, get a short ram, not a CAI.

this has been discussed at length. some simple searches will yield gobbs of results. be prepared though, theres LOTS of reading in front of you. :)

dR

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all

How hard could it be for installing a dp with no auto experience at all? Thinking about installing a dp myself...Also which dp will fit perfectly with my Prodrive Stage 2 kit? THanks all

WRXGOOooo

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
there is a great tutorial on up pipe and down pipe install.

i have had both cai and sr and the short ram is easyer to clean and gives alot more low end. the cold air was only good on the highway and the bov was a little louder.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts