ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post.
My 2011 AUDM has a 5mm difference in wheelbase. I've had the car for 12 months.
The left handside wheel base is 5mm longer than the righthand side, pushing the tyre towards the front of the car.
This is causing the front left tyre to almost touch the front part of the front inner guard. Also, there is 1 deg more caster on the left hand side compared to the right side.

Replaced coilovers and the wheelbase difference was still there. Coilovers are adjusted correctly and ride height is even left to right.

Today, I've removed the lower control arms to replace the bushes as they are split. Hope to get them back tomorrow to see if it make a difference. The mechanic thinks it won't make a difference.

Couldn't find any sign of accident history or repairs.
Checked height under the car at various points and its even left to right. So no sign of a tweak in the chasis.

I'm thinking the front subframe needs to be loosened and reset, but unsure if this would help.
Any suggestions on what to check or try.
TIA

·
10,473 Posts
Are you sure the control arms are not tweaked? Are you measuring from hub to hub? Don't trust body pannels

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, rim edge to rim edge.
On the right hand side, I can easily slide my fingers between the tyre and front wheel arch.
On the left hand side, I can barley insert my fingers.

I'll check/measure control arms tomorrow.

·
10,473 Posts
No car is perfectly square, but in my mind 5mm is quite a difference in modern manufacturing.

The things that come to mind are bad control arm, or one generic replacement arm that's just half assed together. I don't think the knuckle would be replaced for anything so I doubt it's a poor one. Bushings could cause it, but I'd imagine the gap would move depending on the last direction the car moved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point about the control arm. I'll have a close look at the arms to make sure they are from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the control arms measure the same.

There is a 4mm difference between the lower control arm stud, the one at the rear of the front control arm, and the front sub-frame. Its 4mm shorter on the left hand side compared to the right.

I'll get a suspension/chassis shop to focus on the chassis/sub-frame.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts