ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ill explain this the best i can. I was on the way home from PA today on the turnpike and it was raining like crazy. All of a sudden my exhaust started getting really loud (GReddy SP2) and i could feel alot of back pressure. It was loud like a jake brake on a truck! The catback is the only thing engine or exhaust wise that i had on my car for the trip. The sound was really loud and it freeked me out. This happened 3 different times about 1-1.5 hours apart, and it would only last for a few minutes. I cant think of what it could be and this has never happened before....i'm guessing it had something to do with the heavy rain. Maybe water got in the baffles in the muffler? But how? This has never happened before and it is back to normal now!?!?! Please help! I dont know what is going on! Thanks

·
Registered
818 Posts
wow, i honestly have no idea, yeah, it rained like HELL today, drove through pleanty of sections of backroad that was under like 6-14 inches of water, made for some fun driving. not only that but i saw not one but 2 truck fires on the turnpike today going towards philly. i dunno man, that exhaust thing has me confused. my car was acting freaky on me today too durring the rain, mostly clutch and tranny, but, thats normal now too. i dont know.

·
Registered
839 Posts
exhaust leak

I would suggest you splashed enough water on one of the uppipe flanges, or one of the other exhaust segments from the cylinder head to the turbo, and cooled it significantly creating a short term exhaust leak.

You may have a small leak that normally goes un-noticed.

Larry

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Water could have gotten on your plug coils causing a misfire leaving unburned fuel in the cylinder........

And then the next fuel charge got mixed with the unburned fuel from the misfired fuel and the excess ignited in the cat/cats/exhaust.

Sounds wierd to me too,

But Im just guessing :)

Shotgun

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i can rule out the uppipe leak theory because the disturbing noise came from about mid cabin back. I wish i knew what the heck this is! Im sure its nothing major at all, just some fluke thing, but it would be nice to have peace of mind. Somebody has had to have this happen before! haha.:)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Sure it was the exhaust? I've had some truly ear slitting noise from the tires pumping water into the wheelwells, only at highway speed in a torrential downpour. It is a sign the car is beginning to hydroplane. Doesn't really sound like the normal water splashing sound either....

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know come to think of it, that may have been it! i remember thinking i had a tire going down at one point, just as long as it isnt anything serious! haha.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah no kidding, i stand corrected.....the last time it happened i popped the car into neutral and revved it and the noise increased, so that rules out the tire theory i think. Sorry i forgot all about that. Damn! wonder what this is all about! I still dont think its anything major (knock on wood). I know this has happened to somebody else, i cant be the only one, hahaha!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drove about 30miles today and no more noise or concern???? wonder what could of happened, it has to be something with the exhaust, like i said before when it happened the last time i popped into neutral and revved, sounded like a mack truck without a header, hahaha. it had to of been something to do with the rain. wierd how it only happened every so often. still looking for a definative answer! :D

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
this is a bit off the wall (like most of my thinking) but maybe the sound waves from your exhaust were bouncing off the water back towards you, instead of away from your WRX, giving you the impression that something was wrong. Other than that, and I'm most likely wrong, the exhaust gnomes thing works for me!

p.s. I was in that rain and did a round trip to JFK airport back to Ocean county NJ and it only took 5 1/2 hours to do what normally takes less than 3!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I doubt it was a misfire cause you'd have gotten a flashing cel, and if it was bad enough it would have flashed and stayed on. The one time I got a misfire cel the exhuast sounded muted and sick.

Check where your exhuast hangers are welded your your muffler. You may have broken weld and exhuast may be escaping when your muffler heats up. Also check the axle-back to mid-pipe, and mid-pipe to 3rd cat connections.

Grab a flashlight and look at the connections. What you're looking for is scortch marks. That will show if exhuast is leaking out. It may be hard to see on top of the piping, so you'll have to be flexible.

Where exactly did the sound seem like it's coming from?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I checked the hangers when i got home, the sound was mostly coming from somewhere behind my catback, sounded like from the muffler. The last two days i have driven around and nothing. This sounds ridiculous but it sounded like that muffler was gagging out water somehow. Really wierd, but no problems since.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
yelWRXlow1 said:
I checked the hangers when i got home, the sound was mostly coming from somewhere behind my catback, sounded like from the muffler. The last two days i have driven around and nothing. This sounds ridiculous but it sounded like that muffler was gagging out water somehow. Really wierd, but no problems since.
If you still have the "Donut" gasket on there, Check it for signs of a leak.

It would make sense that it could have a small leak at the BACK part of the gasket leading to the midpipe and was scooping some water into it and blowing it out the midpipe/muffler.

It might not be noticable during normal weather as if the leak was at the rear of the donut and you have a louder than stock muffler it would drown out the sound from the catback/midpipe leak!

Poke the old head under there (Safely) and have somone give it some gas and see if you hear any escaping gases.

Another .02
Shotgun

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
donut gasket? sorry im mechanically stupid. and i think my car is to low to pop my head under to check it out. I would probably have to get it on a lift. i'll try tomorrow though. still dont know what the donut gasket is though, haha :D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
yelWRXlow1 said:
donut gasket? sorry im mechanically stupid. and i think my car is to low to pop my head under to check it out. I would probably have to get it on a lift. i'll try tomorrow though. still dont know what the donut gasket is though, haha :D
This is it........It is between your last catylitic converter (or Substite unless they use a regular gasket for aftermarket) and Midpipe (the one that connects to the muffler)

You can see the point of connection on your exhaust if you for the pipe with two bolts and springs between them and the nuts.

IF they havent been changed to regular bolts/nuts.

You may find it to be an incorrect fitment and that is a good place to leak.

Shotgun

1 - 20 of 20 Posts