Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had no probs with the flanges on my Perrin up-pipe but in the last couple of weeks my factory egt sensor has decided it doesnt like staying screwed in. I have been to all 5 local car parts stores trying to find a high temp thread sealant or figure out some other solution for keeping the sucker in place but the highest temp thread sealant I can find only goes to 450 degrees..useless.

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you use or how did you resolve the problem? I dont mind checking and tightening it every couple of days, but there has to be a better solution. I dont want to have to weld the thing in place..any help is much appreciated!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,636 Posts
high temp silicone gasket maker should do it.

permatex makes various heat ratings, up to 900 (even 1200 if you can find it)

don't bother with the local parts stores (we don't carry it either at Stone) look to the web. i've found some permatex dealers there a few times for the muffler cement they make. (a/2 the price of fireseal, and it's the same goop)

dR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
What does it sound like when it's loose? Screech like an uppipe leak?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dark_Rex, thanks! found a Permatex product ( # 80335 ) muffler and tailpipe sealer good to 2000 degrees..ordered.

TypeC, I dont know what an up-pipe gasket leak sounds like but when the egt probe is out it is a loud 'farty' sound..like a hole in the exhaust ...which is what it really is. Embarrassing driving around with it sounding so crappy and the problem is that it is so damn hot there that it is very hard to get to the sensor and tighten it back down when the engine is hot without burning the sh%t out of your hands. Right now I just check the tightness every morning before I go to work...minor annoyance soon to be gone!
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
The reason the EGT probe falls out is because you have to cut the angle right on the uppipe. A lot of uppipe manufacturers do not do this and the EGT sensor eventually backs out. It took me a while to figure out how to make a proper uppipe that has that angle cut into it and seals perfectly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
God said:
The reason the EGT probe falls out is because you have to cut the angle right on the uppipe. A lot of uppipe manufacturers do not do this and the EGT sensor eventually backs out. It took me a while to figure out how to make a proper uppipe that has that angle cut into it and seals perfectly.
Dan, If I ever need another up-pipe I know who I will be calling!
Actually, I'll be calling you soon to order the PE fuel pump from you. I just see too many issues with that Walbro unit to feel comfortable about running with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Not to pick on you or anything Dan, I love your up-pipe and would still buy it again, but I DID experience that same thing with the GodSpeed. I retightened it every 3-4 days for a couple weeks, then tried Red-Locktite...This kept it in for about a month. Did it again and it hasn't come out yet, but now I check it everytime I do maintenence on the car...

-Jason-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Geez guys, just tack weld it in, why mess around with crappy gasketing material or thread lockers that won't hold up for any appreciable amount of time in that location. Easy, painless, will never back out, and is just as easily removed.

jb
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,911 Posts
jmussetter said:
Not to pick on you or anything Dan, I love your up-pipe and would still buy it again, but I DID experience that same thing with the GodSpeed. I retightened it every 3-4 days for a couple weeks, then tried Red-Locktite...This kept it in for about a month. Did it again and it hasn't come out yet, but now I check it everytime I do maintenence on the car...

-Jason-
Very strange. I have not experienced that with any installed here. We never use loctite at all either. Just tighten and go. I'm sorry about that Jason. Perhaps the length was not cut perfectly on your particular uppipe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Not a problem. I attribute this and lower joint problems as inherent in almost ALL uppipes. Like I said, I do not regret buying the GodSpeed, and would still buy it again over Vishnu or Perrin and the others, but I think it is just a trouble prone area of the car reguardless of manufacturer.

-Jason-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jimb said:
Geez guys, just tack weld it in, why mess around with crappy gasketing material or thread lockers that won't hold up for any appreciable amount of time in that location. Easy, painless, will never back out, and is just as easily removed.

jb

Agreed, That is a solution, but it requires a couple things I dont have at home like a welding torch and a lift. I have had the up-pipe on my car for 8 months and only now has this problem surfaced.

If I cant get a good seal using the permatex product, I will have it tack welded in place after installing the VF-34.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top