Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a 2018 wrx and was not disclosed that it had a tgv and egr delete. All the mods I know it had were a Cobb big sf air intake, BOV, tgv and egr delete, aftermarket centerpipe and a nameless catback exhaust.the vehicle ran fine, though a little loud on cold starts until I had my personal mechanic install a factory intake, tgv and egr a couple days ago and now it won’t rev past 2500 rpm without sputtering and it stalls when I push in the clutch, and is giving me code P0172, I already reflashed my tune with a stage 0 ots Cobb map and nothing changed. Got it towed to an actual Subaru dealer but wanted to know if anyone knew of a specific issue that could be causing it before shelling out to the dealership, Could the old fuel map still be active and I just need a factory tune from the dealer?

·
Registered
101 Posts
the code means "system too rich bank 1"
(so your ecu is detecting not enough air or too much fuel being pumped in)

1. could be what silver said about about the MAF unplugged/etc

2. OR huge injectors were installed

3. OR a severe vacuum leak after the MAF (see below)

from a thread on nasioc:

Update because I hate reading through threads with no resolve:
I put new spark plugs in and it didn't fix it.
I had a smoke test done and some leaks plugged and it didn't fix it.
I put a new MAF sensor in it and it didn't fix it.
I put a new O2 sensor in it and it didn't fix it.

I realized a smoke test was different than a pressure test so I was going to do a pressure test on my car with my home built tester, but I broke off a dry rot hose and decided it best to take it to the pros.

They did a pressure test themselves and found several leaks. They also found an issue with my EBCS, so I got a new one and a retune since it'd been 3+ years since the original tune. Car is running great now, it only smells a little rich now; but I got a little boost to my MPG so I can't think the original issue is still there.

After the tune was done, I wasn't getting any readings on my AF Learning 1 with my AP. My tuner said this is due to the way he tuned it, and that essentially it's not running outside of the limits he set for the AF Learning 1 to trigger a reading on my AP.

It's been about a month since the fix and the problem hasn't reappeared. Only issue I had was a weird DAM value of 13, but I reset the ECU per tuner instructions and that hasn't come back either, issue was probably gas related.

My recommendation for anyone reading this in the future is to just get a PRESSURE/VACUUM test done, it's different than a smoke test. This is something I wasn't aware of, I thought smoke tests were pressurized; knowing that would've saved me a good amount of time and money!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts