Subaru WRX Forum banner

Help! Touched alternator ground to metal

12K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  nimdabew 
#1 ·
Hi all, you can roast me later (no pun intended), but I was doing some work late at night on the alternator on my 2002 WRX (I really needed the car first thing in the morning) and touched the alternator ground to metal while I forgot to unplug the battery. Contact was only for a second, but some sparks flew/ The only electrical things that work on the car are the chime for the keys, the light on the dash that tells you the door is open (although it is very dim and flickers), and the accessory port. Turn the key, don't even hear a click so I am guessing no current is reaching the starter. All the main fuses look fine, however when I test some other fuses, they do not light up but when I pull the fuse it looks fine. Any ideas?? I suck with electrical. My Hanes manual says it could be a fusible link?

#3 ·
Ah, the XJman coming to save the day! Much thanks for always being the first to reply. So you are saying the fuse could still be shot even if the linkage inside is intact? I tried checking the 80amp fuse, the one in the engine compartment, and it looks fine and tested ok. Should I replace it just to be safe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.