Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, you can roast me later (no pun intended), but I was doing some work late at night on the alternator on my 2002 WRX (I really needed the car first thing in the morning) and touched the alternator ground to metal while I forgot to unplug the battery. Contact was only for a second, but some sparks flew/ The only electrical things that work on the car are the chime for the keys, the light on the dash that tells you the door is open (although it is very dim and flickers), and the accessory port. Turn the key, don't even hear a click so I am guessing no current is reaching the starter. All the main fuses look fine, however when I test some other fuses, they do not light up but when I pull the fuse it looks fine. Any ideas?? I suck with electrical. My Hanes manual says it could be a fusible link?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, the XJman coming to save the day! Much thanks for always being the first to reply. So you are saying the fuse could still be shot even if the linkage inside is intact? I tried checking the 80amp fuse, the one in the engine compartment, and it looks fine and tested ok. Should I replace it just to be safe?
 

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
Joined
·
15,756 Posts
You may have a ground that shorted or burnt when the system shorted out. I had a similar occurrence on an old Mercury cougar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
 

· Water.....sometimes waves
Joined
·
2,183 Posts
Probably not. So as others have said about a bad ground, since nothing is working right I would check the battery cable connections at both the battery and the other end of the cables. Especially the ground cable.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all who replied, thank you. It ended up being a bad battery terminal, as the p/o had painted them, and the spark of the alternator had melted some paint, getting in the way of the connection. Scraped all the paint off and the car has full power again.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Previous owner PAINTED the battery terminals?! Is that seriously a thing?

If it is, its not a very smart thing.
Apparently so. Was not the smartest thing to do. Really want to know the reason of painting them. If you can't tell the negative and positive apart you should not be even thinking about working on the electrical systems of something as complex as a car IMO.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top