ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: I've had OZ Superleggera's on my car, stock suspension. 225/40/18. Never had a problem with rubbing or anything.

Drove to and from DC this weekend, everything was fine. Last night, I heard this weird thumping noise, like 2 or 3 times in a row, kind of loud, but only when I was turning my wheel sharply to the left or right. Then, this morning when I got up to go to work, and started driving, it got more and more constant. It sounds like it is definitely coming from the suspension, but doesn't sound like a constant rubbing noise, its more of a thumping.

I checked the wheel well to see if anything was stuck in it or hanging down, couldn't see or feel anything out of sorts. The wheel is VERY close to the suspension, but I don't see why it would start now, after over a month with the new wheels.

Also, I don't know if this matters, but right when the problem started, apparently my alarm had been set off. But it doesn't look like someone tried to steal my rims, and my car hasn't been hit or anything. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
818 Posts
if someone DID try to steal your rims id check to make sure all the lugs are there and that theyre on snug. but, you'd be better to ask this question over in suspension and handling, a lotta good people with good advice over there.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry, it's over there too. I just asked Mike (dR) to move it to everday to get more hits, this is sort of a timely issue. I have work and stuff :mad:

My other thought was that it was a blown strut... but I didn't feel any handling loss. just a little pull on the steering wheel whenever it thumps.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think you mean tire rod?

Well, now that you know the problem, time for advice...

Do I drive it to Subaru and have them look at it?

If I do, should I take off my rims? Would that void my suspension warranty?

All help, any suggestion, is appreciated.

Steve

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Tie rod? Doubt it. Tire rod? No such thing. Sounds like loose lugs, tires rubbing, or your wife still in the trunk:tongue:

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
no not tire rod. tie rod. do a search on them to give a FULL explanation much better than i could.

ive seen bad tie rods/broken tie rods thump like that. its something worth checking. im just guessing here though.

i dont see why rims would void warantee....but depends on how bad your dealership is about voiding. mine never say anything other than how much they like my car :)

double check your lugs, while jacked up, to make sure theres no play in your rims since you really cant tell with 3k lbs on em.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
gusto said:
no not tire rod. tie rod. do a search on them to give a FULL explanation much better than i could.

ive seen bad tie rods/broken tie rods thump like that. its something worth checking. im just guessing here though.

i dont see why rims would void warantee....but depends on how bad your dealership is about voiding. mine never say anything other than how much they like my car :)

double check your lugs, while jacked up, to make sure theres no play in your rims since you really cant tell with 3k lbs on em.
Worn tie rods usually cause vague steering. Broken tie rods cause NO steering:D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trainrex said:
Tie rod? Doubt it. Tire rod? No such thing. Sounds like loose lugs, tires rubbing, or your wife still in the trunk:tongue:
Hee hee :shhhhhh: jk.

OK, so check my lug nuts jacked up... Don't really know how that could cause this kind of noise (its pretty loud) but its worth a shot.

What about a blown strut? Could that be a possibility?

My car is only a year old... so I feel like that's a very remote possibility.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Blue2004WRX said:
Hee hee :shhhhhh: jk.

OK, so check my lug nuts jacked up... Don't really know how that could cause this kind of noise (its pretty loud) but its worth a shot.

What about a blown strut? Could that be a possibility?

My car is only a year old... so I feel like that's a very remote possibility.
Check for rub marks on the inner fender and lip of the fender. I strongly feel your tires are rubbing.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
i wouldnt THINK a blown strut would give you thumps when youre only turning one direction. youd notice that alot more over bumps etc..

check the lugs while up would show if they did loosen some and now your wheels loose. just eyeballing you may see all nuts are tight b/c the weight of the car will be pushing it out...know what i mean?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gusto said:
i wouldnt THINK a blown strut would give you thumps when youre only turning one direction. youd notice that alot more over bumps etc..
Re-read. It started just when turning, now it's constant, ESPECIALLY over bumps.

trainrex said:
Check for rub marks on the inner fender and lip of the fender. I strongly feel your tires are rubbing.
This was my, and my friends', first assumption. But after almost 6 weeks? Also, rubbing is usually a more constant noise.

dark_rex said:
how many miles on your car? it certainly could be a blown strut. mine was toast as early as 45K, but they were subjected to some pothole abuse...

dR
Only 16k. Recently I've been driving on a REAL bumpy road like every day, but still, only 16k miles?

Steve

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE:

Thanks for all your help guys, problem solved!

Someone DID try to jack my rims. Of course, McGuard wheel locks stopped them :D

I tightened the lug nuts on all four wheels, and its all good.

Thanks again!

Steve

PS I hope whoever did that burns :sadwave:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seriously, what's with you guys and putting people in trucks? I didn't accidentally stroll onto a Sopranos chat board, did I?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts