Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2018 wrx with a spun bearing. I called a shop they estimated $20,000. I feel I can do it for less. I am starting to take the motor out tomorrow. The built short block should b here this week. I know I need the heads re surfaced and cleaned and a new gasket kit and timing chains oil pump/timing cover and oil cooler. Is that it or am I missing a lot of stuff. I have never built a motor before so I feel like I’m missing a list of stuff that I need to do. I just don’t know where to start any help will b greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
11,561 Posts
So I have a 2018 wrx with a spun bearing. I called a shop they estimated $20,000. I feel I can do it for less. I am starting to take the motor out tomorrow. The built short block should b here this week. I know I need the heads re surfaced and cleaned and a new gasket kit and timing chains oil pump/timing cover and oil cooler. Is that it or am I missing a lot of stuff. I have never built a motor before so I feel like I’m missing a list of stuff that I need to do. I just don’t know where to start any help will b greatly appreciated
Sounds like most of it is new enough to reuse. 20k is steep it's usually 1/2 that or less. However with a built motor you'll need retuned for any changes to compression from the skimming of the head.

It's not an easy task really, but if you've rebuilt enough it's not too bad. Take lots of pictures, label every single connector, hose, nut and bolt. Organization is absolutely paramount to your success. A clutch is never a bad idea to do while the engine is out. My first ever engine pull was when i was young. I also recommend removing anything that can be mashed. Hood, body panels, radiator, etc.

·
Æternum
15,953 Posts
So the $20K estimate... was that a stock motor?

Reactions: Reedrussell19

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was to take the stock motor rebuild it with forged internals and all new everything I guess they said it would b $9,000 just for the motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like most of it is new enough to reuse. 20k is steep it's usually 1/2 that or less. However with a built motor you'll need retuned for any changes to compression from the skimming of the head.

It's not an easy task really, but if you've rebuilt enough it's not too bad. Take lots of pictures, label every single connector, hose, nut and bolt. Organization is absolutely paramount to your success. A clutch is never a bad idea to do while the engine is out. My first ever engine pull was when i was young. I also recommend removing anything that can be mashed. Hood, body panels, radiator, etc.
I was going to do clutch timing chain And I had like the whole bottom end off the motor to confirm it was a bad connecting rod bearing which it was and that’s what I did put everything in baggies with labels. I’m not saying I’m the best with a wrench but if I didn’t think I could do it I wouldn’t try.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going to do clutch timing chain And I had like the whole bottom end off the motor to confirm it was a bad connecting rod bearing which it was and that’s what I did put everything in baggies with labels. I’m not saying I’m the best with a wrench but if I didn’t think I could do it I wouldn’t try.
Hey I know this is almost a year late but how did it eventually go? I just got my built short block and I'm gonna be pulling the motor soon. I'm still super confused on what to clean and what to replace, I heard cleaning oil pan is fine, replacing the timing cover/oil pump is a must, and AVCS can be cleaned if you are careful but some people just replace them. What else do I need to replace/clean? I know you do everything that touches oil but uh, I don't know everything that touches oil. I just got the car almost a year ago now and before I got it I didn't own a single tool, didn't know there was different measurements for sockets and now I do all my maintenance for my wrx by myself in my driveway. Any type of info would help I just don't know where to start.
I got a stage 2 IAG shortblock and im 99% sure the motor spun a bearing. I checked the oil and there wasn't a whole lot of metal only a little bit but a little goes a long way I've learned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts