ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go WOT I get a puff of white smoke!?!? Could it be the high pressure pushing out the heads and letting collant seep in? I have had my stage 4 for 800 miles so far and haven't been to the track at all yet, just done some spirited driving. Should I be concerned or is a little puff normal at WOT????:confused:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
white smoke definitely is coolant, but I am not sure why it is comming out though...

Looking at your sig, you sure are running a lot of boost.... Perhaps you could tone it down a little, and see if that makes any change?

Might be an idea later to get a compression and leakdown test done if the problem persists

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never really "run" my 24 psi map except on the dyno. My daily map is on 93 octane, 22 psi, 302 whp... it only puffs at WOT...

·
Registered
2 Posts
i dunno if you ever modded before the stage 4 but my car smokes at stock boost when i hammer down. id say its just excess fuel. my 69 pontiac does it and it runs rich too.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
turbo_bxr said:
i dunno if you ever modded before the stage 4 but my car smokes at stock boost when i hammer down. id say its just excess fuel. my 69 pontiac does it and it runs rich too.
sign of running rich is black smoke out of the tailpipe.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
Are you missing any coolant? That is one of the symptoms of an internal coolant leak. Also do a compression and leakdown test.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Ditto what trainrex says.

Did XX do the install? If so I would bring it right back and have Jack take a look at it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I feel that if it was a head gasket, you should definately feel a loss in power due to the loss in compression. I blew a head gasket (not to badly) on my type r motor and it was like night and day.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
is this white smoke from the exhaust? i noticed when my buddy was dragging my car at the 1/8, i had some white smoke coming from my exhaust. not a ton, but noticeable.

·
Administrator
26,609 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
Temp needle does not rise. Checked my oil, looks good. Checked my coolant res., and it's empty.:confused:
Call your local parts store and ask them if they have a coolant hydrocarbon tester. The kit usually costs about $40, and tests for exhaust hydrocarbon in the coolant which would indicate a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block.

·
Registered
9,023 Posts
Trainrex said:

Call your local parts store and ask them if they have a coolant hydrocarbon tester. The kit usually costs about $40, and tests for exhaust hydrocarbon in the coolant which would indicate a bad head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block.
Ouch! :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts