ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done applying a coat of scratch-x to my entire car with a 6" orbital polisher. I put on the buffing syth-wool pad, and it isn't coming off. So, I grab a clean towel, and I need to SERIOUSLY rub to get it off, I mean, excessive force rubbing, as in, I don't know how I'm not just destroying the paint rubbing.

The car was cool, I'm in my garage, so, I don't know why it's so hard to remove, it sure doesn't seem right...

Any ideas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ive never really seen anyone apply Scratch-X using a buffer
its more of a hand application
I only use it on the deep scratches to fill in to a point...by hand
to get off the swirls and other fine scratches, I use Meguiars No. 9 Swirl Remover using a buffer
results are amazing
then follow up with a polish by buffer then a coat or 2 of wax by hand

·
Registered
956 Posts
careful with black as it will show things much more then other colors. if it were me i'd ask a paint supply store they often have good anwsers on that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, a little too late for that...

It's really odd... Some areas come off perfectly, others are nearly impossible to get out.

I've been buffing for over 3 hours and I'm maybe 33% done with removing it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started to use distilled water spray and a cotton cloth to remove it. Since I'm not buffing, it's basically worthless now. What a freakin' waste of 6 hours (and counting).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
silversti said:
Use warm water with dish soap. That will strip all of the wax/cleaner etc off the car. The bad news is you will have not wax. The good news is the Scratch X will come off.
Do you think I got a defective batch of Scratch-x? It would come off great in some places, nearly impossible in others. The car was fully cleaned and dried prior, none of this was done in the sun. The only thing I'm thinking is you must have to buff it off right away, just do very small sections at a time.

Good news is that I'm done, followed with Gold Class, I won't be able to tell if it helped on some parts, but, it looks good at least. Who knows, maybe I've really messed up the paint. The reflection of the garage lights at various angles doesn't show any swirl marks or scratchs though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
scratch x isn't a wax/ polish. its designed to be used in small areas on a scratch. not to buff/polish/wax the whole car.

·
6,298 Posts
As noted previously, you should only do small parts of the car at a time with scratch x. It isn't designed to dry on the car, otherwise it is a ***** to remove, as you have found out. Also, IMHO, it shouldn't be used for anything other than major scratches, not swirls or fine scratches. Use a swirl removal like Mequires for swirls. A word of advice. After you get the dried scratch x off, get some clay and do your car. That stuff stays on as a very light film that you can't see once it's dried. Claying will remove it for sure. Once you clay it, then polish it with the swirl remover, then wax it a few times (NXT baby!), should be good as new.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was able to get most of it off by buffing/rubbing, while the stubborn areas took some water. I followed it up by hand waxing with Gold Class, and using the buffer/hand rubbing to remove it.

I must say, it's the best it's ever looked. It's pretty overcast here though, so, hopefully I'm not going to be horrified when the sun comes out...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts