Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new to the forum, my names Ryan. Not sure if this is the right area, but if not, hopefully someone can direct me.

I Recently bought a 2017 WRX (first one I own) and I'm having an issue with my Accessport. Hoping someone from this community might be able to help me out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHMvYpdSHISo I purchased a Cobb Accessport 2 days ago, brand new from a retailer in the GTA area. I got the Cobb Big SF Intake with it aswell and was able to flash the OTS Stage1+ map to my car, so at least there's that.

Now the issue I'm having is tricky to explain, but the AP cannot stay connected to my vehicle. I've done some troubleshooting and it appears that whenever the brake pedal is pressed, the AP loses connection the vehicle briefly. It reconnects in a second, but if the brake pedal is still pressed, it instantly loses connection again the process loops, causing the APs screen to "flash". If I try and flash a new map to the ECU, it will always throw a "Accessport cannot communicate with vehicle" message, telling me to ensure the ignition is on. I turn on the ignition, but it will never work, until I press in the brake, let go of the brake, then press OK on the AP and it will then flash no issues. Same thing for making any adjustments like Launch Control. It will fail to apply the change, until I press the brake, let go of the brake, then press OK to apply the setting.

This makes it impossible to view gauges accurately or start data logging, as any time I press the brake while driving (which is a fairly common thing to do while driving) the AP disconnects and resets all gauges and cancels the data log.

I have a video of the problem HERE if anyone wants a visual.

Does anybody have any clues? I'd take it back to the retailer, however I live quite a ways up north from them and was only down for the weekend when I bought it, so I won't be heading back down for another couple weeks at the least.

Thank you,
-Ryan

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
I recommend contacting cobb.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bad ground or something is shorting out.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
If you purchased the device from an authorized retailer, contact Cobb. If not, contact them anyway, and see if they'd be willing to help you.

If not, you can always try to recreate the issue with a traditional OBDII scanner from an AutoZone, Pep Boys, etc. type place and then bring it to the dealers attention, and see if it's something they can assist with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I did buy it from an authorized retailer, so as per your advice I'll contact Cobb with my proof of purchase.

Possible dumb question coming, but I am still new to all this.. I have the Big SF Intake installed which people seem to say it requires the tune... if need be to uninstall my AP and send it to Cobb for a replacement, I wouldn't be able to take my car of the road as I need it for work.. would I be fine for a couple weeks with the intake and a stock tune?

Thanks again.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I did buy it from an authorized retailer, so as per your advice I'll contact Cobb with my proof of purchase.

Possible dumb question coming, but I am still new to all this.. I have the Big SF Intake installed which people seem to say it requires the tune... if need be to uninstall my AP and send it to Cobb for a replacement, I wouldn't be able to take my car of the road as I need it for work.. would I be fine for a couple weeks with the intake and a stock tune?

Thanks again.
This is a question for Cobb. You'll need to ask them if you need to unmarry it in order to send it back. If that's the case, then you should not drive the car with the Cobb intake installed and the stock tune flashed. Your best alternative scenario would be to remove the Cobb intake and replace it with the stock one, should you be forced to run the stock tune until you get the AP back.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Thanks again.
It doesn't take but 15 mins to uninstall the Big SF and put the OEM air box back in, I've done this a few times now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts