ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought S-techs for my 08 wrx hatch w/o knowing that they will eventually blow my struts. I had them installed and the mechanic confirmed that he cut the cups according to the installation instructions. I plan on eventually getting a coil-over setup with the edfc controller, but i am a college kid and most of my money goes to books and beer.

my buddy who is an evo-wrx-sti guru told me that my struts are going to go in roughly 20-30 k miles. He also told me that my handling (as in slalom and lateral g performance) has decreased because the geometry of the springs do not match the struts. i confirmed that info with the unibomber manifesto faq on the nasoic website.

my cups(dont really know what they are) are cut shorter so i dont think the stock springs will work with my car anymore.

i love the wheel gap and the lack of body roll and i really want to keep that.

does anyone know a cheap-reliable setup i can do until i can afford my coil-overs?

also do the 09 springs fit on my car if i get the 09 cups?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I bought S-techs for my 08 wrx hatch w/o knowing that they will eventually blow my struts. I had them installed and the mechanic confirmed that he cut the cups according to the installation instructions. I plan on eventually getting a coil-over setup with the edfc controller, but i am a college kid and most of my money goes to books and beer.

my buddy who is an evo-wrx-sti guru told me that my struts are going to go in roughly 20-30 k miles. He also told me that my handling (as in slalom and lateral g performance) has decreased because the geometry of the springs do not match the struts. i confirmed that info with the unibomber manifesto faq on the nasoic website.

my cups(dont really know what they are) are cut shorter so i dont think the stock springs will work with my car anymore.

i love the wheel gap and the lack of body roll and i really want to keep that.

does anyone know a cheap-reliable setup i can do until i can afford my coil-overs?

also do the 09 springs fit on my car if i get the 09 cups?
Not sure what you mean by 'cups'. I'm assuming he cut the bump stops. Which those are cut on most aftermarket spring installs.

Check out RCE Yellow or Black springs, or STI 'Pink' springs.

Your friend is right about the TEINs.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Your car may look great but those s-techs drop it too much and really limit your suspension travel. This in turn kills ride quality and handling (causes bump steer issues).

Get rid of those s-techs and get some good springs ASAP b/c your buddy is right they will prematurely wear out your struts, as for how many miles it will take to happen that is debatable....

Swift Springs '08 WRX - Turn In Concepts

The swifts are probably the only springs I put on an '08 or these, but they are kind of expensive:

https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_99_111&products_id=1363

1 - 6 of 6 Posts