Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this site am im not sure if im doing this right but any help is appreciated! I have a 2011 wrx that will rev normally in neutral and 1st gear; however, when i shift to second or any other gear the rev is limited to 5500rpm. This cant be normal but ive not found any other cases of this. Heres some things to note:
-The car is stock other than a tsudo catback and a BOV
-I have no accessport and almost no chance the previous owner putting a tune on it
-The car runs fine until i hit 5500 in 2nd+ gear
-it will rev the full 7000+ in 1st or neutral
-There is definite rev limit im not crazy i dont think
- I have videos if anyone wants to see
-Im not crazy enough to try and go past 5500 in 4th or 5th so i cant tell if the problem exists in those gears
heard some things about MAF but im not sure. Whadda you guys think? Any help is appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Well it shouldn’t hit anything near 7k+ at any point.

Without any trouble codes I’m shooting in the dark at what it could be. Check the maf, have a boost leak and vacuum leak test done, as well as compression and leak down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it shouldn’t hit anything near 7k+ at any point.

Without any trouble codes I’m shooting in the dark at what it could be. Check the maf, have a boost leak and vacuum leak test done, as well as compression and leak down.
I’ve never actually hit the rev limiter, the highest I’ve ever revved it up was recently for testing purposes. Anyway I’ll clean the MAF today and if that doesn’t fix it I’ll move on to boost, vacuum etc. I’ll let you know what happens. Thanks for the response

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok update. It got worse. It will only rev to about 4700 and has very low power all around but much less than usual when I hit boost. Is this a boost leak?? I don’t even know where to start. My MAF looked brand new but I cleaned it anyway. It’s drying. And I took off my intercoller to have a look and everything looks good thanks for the help any suggestions??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I cleaned the MAF and didn’t see any boost leaks after I took off the intercooler. I but it back together and it is still stuck at 5500rpm only in second-5. This is really pissing me off I’d love to know what’s up

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Ok I cleaned the MAF and didn’t see any boost leaks after I took off the intercooler. I but it back together and it is still stuck at 5500rpm only in second-5. This is really pissing me off I’d love to know what’s up
What is al modified on the car. There is also nowhere on the public roadways you’ll ever find a need to go that fast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Only a catback and a BOV. I understand that I’m not fixing it bc I need to go that fast I’m fixing this bc I want it to run as it should even if I’m not using it all. Gonna install new spark plugs tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
10,960 Posts
Are you sure it’s a cat back and not a turbo back? Also remove the bov and put the stock one back.

If it’s a hard limit there may be a tune on the car with a rpm limit of some sort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay I think I've finally solved the problem. It popped into my head that a clogged catalytic converter could be a contribution to my problem, so to knock this off my list I picked up some cataclean. After I put this in (this might sound stupid) but I went under and whacked my cat with a rubber mallet to try and free up some of the grime that could be clogged in there, just for ****s and giggles! But it turns out my cat must be my problem bc the engine would rev up normally after letting that run through, not perfect but better! thanks guys for the help im gonna keep working on getting this completely clean!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts