ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so, I got new (new to me) intakes for my z and got a great price.
But the guy who had them before me painted the pipes black with high temp paint.
I was thinking i would remove the paint so its the back to the polished look

How should i go about doing this? i dont wanna use thinner if it will discolor the original polish?

Most people told me to strip the paint and go get it rechromed and repolished. I dont know how much this would cost. there are two pipes, one for each throttle body, and they are both roughly 1.5' with 3" diameter. im at work so i cant like measure them right now.

(im not good with paint subjects, so sorry if this is a stupid question:screwy: )

any help would be great. thanks

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
If they are just polished it shouldn't be too expensive to just re-polish them. You could get them sand blasted and re polished. You could do it yourself if you had access to the equipment. I don't know that much about paint or thinners etc, so I'm not sure if that would be ok.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they are just polished it shouldn't be too expensive to just re-polish them. You could get them sand blasted and re polished. You could do it yourself if you had access to the equipment. I don't know that much about paint or thinners etc, so I'm not sure if that would be ok.
Alright, thanks for the help. Sand blasting sounds good. im not really a fan of the chemicals i feel like if they are strong enough to get the paint off they will be strong enough to damage the metal. before, i thought about wetsanding it then getting it repolished. i just want to know is there like a specific way of doing this that i dont know about.

·
Registered
11,850 Posts
i thought about wetsanding it then getting it repolished.
That would probably work to. You can always get it repolished as long as nothing gets really messed up, so how you get the paint off probably isn't a huge issue.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
you could use a 90 degree die grinder and some 3m surface conditioning discs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you could use a 90 degree die grinder and some 3m surface conditioning discs.
right. yeah that sounds good. so the general consensus is to a type of sanding then repolish instead of using chemicals right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts