Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used VF30. I put it together w/ a subaru tech buddy of mine. No problems till i went WOT @ about 4k the turbo starts screamin. Sounds to loud to be normal. No leaks, no spikes in boost. Did i just purchase a lemon, or could i get it rebuild for a reasonable $. :mad:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'd be willing to bet it's an uppipe leak at the manifold junction.

If not, it's turbo-death-whine.

FYI: the VF30 is QUIETER than the stock turbo and has a more refined sound.

-Jim

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed my VF30 last week and it is indeed just as quiet as the stock turbo if not more quiet. The VF30 does sound different but is not louder.

Check all your connections:

uppipe
downpipe
intercooler hoses

Good Luck!

·
Banned
601 Posts
"the VF30 is QUIETER than the stock turbo and has a more refined sound."

I dunno about the vf30, but I have a vf34.... When the turbo tries to hold boost, the wastegate flutters. In my experience, the wastegate flutter on the vf34(which is similar to the vf30) sounds like a wining noise kinda, and is much louder then the wastegate flutter from the stock turbo. This might be what you are hearing? The sounds is kinda amplified through the vacume line going to my boost gauge(I think). hope that helps...

peace

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's guys. I'm going to check all my connections as i do the down pipe. I hope it's not the turbo death whine!!. It does boost to 1 bar (14.7psi). It does lag to about 3500rpm, and then a really loud whine.If it does turn out to be the turbo, is there a repair kit?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
i8yourV8 said:
Thank's guys. I'm going to check all my connections as i do the down pipe. I hope it's not the turbo death whine!!. It does boost to 1 bar (14.7psi). It does lag to about 3500rpm, and then a really loud whine.If it does turn out to be the turbo, is there a repair kit?
That definitely sounds like an uppipe like when you describe it like that.

-Jim

·
Registered
392 Posts
Im getting a weird whining sound too. Almost sounds like the turbo is winding down or something. This noice is more noticeable after the car turns off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak but i could be wrong. Any suggestions on what this is?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
fastwrx135 said:
Im getting a weird whining sound too. Almost sounds like the turbo is winding down or something. This noice is more noticeable after the car turns off. It doesn't sound like an exhaust leak but i could be wrong. Any suggestions on what this is?
Well, you have a roller bearing turbo, so that's probably the sound of the turbo slowing down after you turn the car off.

-Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts