Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm ready for my next exterior mod and was all set on getting JDM HID's. But the other day I saw a picture of a PSM sedan (my car) with morrettes. I never even thought about getting these b/c I didn't really like the look on anything other than a black car. But in the pic I saw, the top of the morrettes were painted silver, like eyelids and it really caught my attention.
So I came to the conclusion that I still love the JDM look, how it's so smooth and subtle, but at the same time those two-tone morrettes look badass and super aggressive! The only downfall I can see is that I won't be able to get the Syms grill I've always wanted!:mad: What do you guys think, go with the subtle, clean look or make the car look evil and aggressive?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:

So I came to the conclusion that I still love the JDM look, how it's so smooth and subtle, but at the same time those two-tone morrettes look badass and super aggressive! The only downfall I can see is that I won't be able to get the Syms grill I've always wanted!:mad: What do you guys think, go with the subtle, clean look or make the car look evil and aggressive?
The words "smooth" and "subtle" are going to be the farthest from anyone's mind if you blind them with a dipped beam pattern that's designed for a part of the world where traffic is on the left side of the road. I would not get a Japanese or UK spec light for use in the USA.

You can order the correct lights from Subaru dealers in the EU -- search -- but unless you get the HID version the beam pattern itself, especially the dipped beam, is not going to be worth the money. The improvement over the US lights isn't that dramatic. They do have the advantage of independently adjustable main beams though, and that can make a difference if you use those frequently.

Looks are a matter of taste; all I can do is strongly recommend you not use Japanese beam lighting in your region. Not only will you possibly blind people, but you may not get your money's worth since you may have to aim the driver's side dipped beam lamp quite low. A compromise is to find a couple people that have wrapped opposing sides of their Imprezas around trees and such, and buy a passenger side lamp from a Jap. light set and a passenger side lamp from a EU light set. That'll give you a bit of a 'region-free' light set up with no specific "driver's side" lamp beam. The real solutio is to stick to EU spec lights or US spec lights though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have a set of JDM lights and have never once been flashed when driving with the low beams on, and its been almost a year that I have had them on. Sure you have to raise the passenger side one, and lower the driver side one, but its not a big deal. And I find the lighting to be very nice, better then stock. But mainly the JDM lights are simply the best looking lights for the WRX, they transform the car.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I've not seen a significant difference between the EU and US spec lights to justify the purchase price of the former. The main advantage is the independent alignment option since the two beams are separate.

I do think the HID versions are substantially better though.

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the average price you guys are paying for morettes?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Was this the PSM you were talking about? I personally love the Morettes after seeing this car.

·
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WRXin',
THAT'S THE CAR that I am going to clone my front end after!!!!

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
SOUTHPAW said:
WRXin',
THAT'S THE CAR that I am going to clone my front end after!!!!
I saw that car in person and let me tell you, that paint pattern on the Morettes looks bad ass.

I am going through the same issues regarding the lighting. I like the Morettes but I think that the contrast of the sliver and black looks a lot better than blue and black. If I have a sliver car I would definitely go with Morettes.

Personally I think I will go with the STi or UK300's.

For you, I say Morettes all the way. :D

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
i think there was a guy a while back trying to sell those morettes with the painted lid. I didn't get them because they were PSM and I am WRB...good luck searching!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
^^^that's enough reason to wanna go with Morettes^^^

Just kidding ya Jon :p You know I want your car :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
WRC_Obsessed said:
I saw that car in person and let me tell you, that paint pattern on the Morettes looks bad ass.

I am going through the same issues regarding the lighting. I like the Morettes but I think that the contrast of the sliver and black looks a lot better than blue and black. If I have a sliver car I would definitely go with Morettes.

Personally I think I will go with the STi or UK300's.
What is the difference between STi and UK300's? I thought they were the same. And i agree that Morettes pattern looks alot better on the greater contrasting colors like silver and black instead of blue and black. Its JDM's all the way for me or should i say EDM's

·
Registered
360 Posts
These are going to be my next puchase. you cant go wrong with the black chrome jdm sti hids... thats alot of acronyms

1 - 20 of 37 Posts