ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me set the scene for you.... im driving down some back ass country road and the speed limit is 50 im cruising along at 75-80 when i see cop lights turn on and get behind me so im thinking hes gonna arrest me or something. I end up just getting a ticket and im on my way. the real question in this post before all the rambling i was doing is if i got a ticket for 26 over how badly is my insurance gonna go up. Ive never had a ticket before but i also just got my license. If it goes up too much then i have to sell my car and go into a deep depression. if anyone knows anything about this or has been in this situation let me know asap. thanks in advance

·
Administrator ...De Rerum Natura
20,139 Posts
Typically only your insurance company will be able to tell you how much it will go up. The thing with insurance is there are so many dozens of factors involved in determining your risk for the insurance company and therefore your premium. Additionally, different companies won't all use all the same factors.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Try to fight it, but don't be an ass about it, in upstate NY my friend got a 24 over and he went to court and they reduced it to a no seatbelt with 2 points and like $380 in fines. He then he took a defensive driving course and got the points removed altogether. Way better than the 11 points he would of had when if he just paid the ticket. I don't know in CO whether the will be so forgiving, but it you go to court and say that you did it but beg for mercy, they might give you a lesser charge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try to fight it, but don't be an ass about it, in upstate NY my friend got a 24 over and he went to court and they reduced it to a no seatbelt with 2 points and like $380 in fines. He then he took a defensive driving course and got the points removed altogether. Way better than the 11 points he would of had when if he just paid the ticket. I don't know in CO whether the will be so forgiving, but it you go to court and say that you did it but beg for mercy, they might give you a lesser charge.

Thats what ill probably end up doing because i cant just send in the money i got a summons. I just hope the judge has a heart haha

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why are you driving so fast when you just got your license? Learn how to drive before you drive so fast.

/lecture

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Why are you driving so fast when you just got your license? Learn how to drive before you drive so fast.

/lecture

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
yeaitsgotaturbo.... Colorado isn't as forgiving as other states.

Did the cop make it a mandatory appearance, or is there a reduction on the ticket?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeaitsgotaturbo.... Colorado isn't as forgiving as other states.

Did the cop make it a mandatory appearance, or is there a reduction on the ticket?

Its a mandatory appearance. Then they tell me what happens with the points and fines in court.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
That's all you can do. You have to show. You can see if the DA will make an appointment with you, and you can discuss a reduction in fines... but that's what the hearing is for.

So when I fought my ticket (in colorado... and won).... You first go in, and they give you the option to fight the ticket, or to take a plea bargain. If you take the plea bargain... plea nolo contendre instead of guilty. Otherwise if you want to fight it, it'll be a separate date. Many people will get a lawyer, but you've basically already admitted guilt... so the "fighting it" is probably out of the question from you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's all you can do. You have to show. You can see if the DA will make an appointment with you, and you can discuss a reduction in fines... but that's what the hearing is for.

So when I fought my ticket (in colorado... and won).... You first go in, and they give you the option to fight the ticket, or to take a plea bargain. If you take the plea bargain... plea nolo contendre instead of guilty. Otherwise if you want to fight it, it'll be a separate date. Many people will get a lawyer, but you've basically already admitted guilt... so the "fighting it" is probably out of the question from you.
So would you have any idea of how much my insurance is gonna go up if i cant get the points or fines completely gone?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
So would you have any idea of how much my insurance is gonna go up if i cant get the points or fines completely gone?
No. No one will besides your insurance agent. BUT... your insurance won't go up until at minimum, the next renewal period... OR... if you have an accident, make a claim, or miss a bill. Those are the times when they'll be more likely to audit your account. It does happen at random sometimes though.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
subaru_crazy said:
Try to fight it, but don't be an ass about it, in upstate NY my friend got a 24 over and he went to court and they reduced it to a no seatbelt with 2 points and like $380 in fines. He then he took a defensive driving course and got the points removed altogether.
In NY, if you have any less than four points on your license, it is pointless to do the defensive driving class for point reduction (which removes 4 points); the offenses stay on your record so your insurance premiums may increase, but the points do go away in case you get more citations in the future.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
All insurance companies are different, but when I first got my license I got 2 speeding tickets in the first 6 months, not as far over as you but it was still 6 total points. I lived in NJ at the time (notorious for insanely high insurance rates) and my insurance went from $1800 per year to almost $5000 per year. That was a long time ago and I'm sure its not accurate for your situation, but prepare for a pretty sizable rate hike.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
you could contest the ticket,the judge might be kind since its ur first violation.And you can do the defensive driver course online to shave off some points

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Take it easy out there on the roads, especially if you just barley got your licence and drive a wrx...Here in Utah anything over 20mph is an automatic wreckless driving charge plus a mandatory court appearence... I would try to fight the ticket, but when I tried to do that once the court cost would've been double what the fine would've been....

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
06scoobyrex said:
I would try to fight the ticket, but when I tried to do that once the court cost would've been double what the fine would've been....
If a court offered me a no-point ticket with a fine twice that of a ticket with points associated with it, I'd accept it with a smile and a "Thank you!"

rage-wrx said:
And you can do the defensive driver course online to shave off some points
I'm not sure how things work in CO, in NY, the only benefit to the DD course in terms of point reduction is to keep you from losing your license, not to avoid an insurance hike.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You just got your license and you're driving that fast? At least slow it down until you learn how to drive. Whatever ticket you get is well deserved.

/lecture.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm not sure how things work in CO, but as I alluded to earlier, in NY, the only benefit to the DD course in terms of point reduction is to keep you from losing your license, not to avoid an insurance hike.
It depends on the county here. I just had a ticket dismissed in a county in central/western CO by taking a course. They let you do that as long as you haven't done it in the previous year.

None of the counties close to Denver allow you to do that.

I'm a Northeast native and have had more tickets in NY/MA/CT/etc than I can count and yeah, that doesn't happen there!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Wow i didnt know my mom had a account here
She doesn't. Somebody that's an adult and knows how to drive does. You're driving way too fast. You just got your license. Wake up and smell the responsibility of driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts