697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok currently I have

vf22
injectors
turboback
utec
and stock tmic

Now I'm looking to upgrade the intercooler in about a week. I don't plan to make huge power with this car, and will only take it to Bandi about 2 or 3 times.

Mostly street driving.

Money is an issue, I'd love to get a TXS FMIC to keep my fogs and battery and have great cooling and a FMIC looks so nice.

So if I did get a FMIC it would be Greddy or Blitz.

If I get a TMIC it would be APS or TXS version 2

Any opinions?

Anyone got a used one they want to get rid of?

·
2,210 Posts
Well, I already gave my input. But if you need some empirical data, then how 'bout this:

A log taken from Todd's car, equipped with a PE1818 (600CFM compressor) and the GReddy front mount shows full boost at 4,400rpms in 4th gear.

A log taken from David's car, equipped with an 18G (600CFM compressor) and the TurboXS top mount shows full boost at 3,500rpms in 4th gear.

How much is down to the turbo, and how much to other mods is anyones guess. However, since the turbochargers are similar in performance and since these cars are running similar supporting mods, I would have to say that a significant amount of Todd's lag is due to the front mount. He does have fantastic top end pull though.

You told me you have modest horsepower goals and don't plan on running at the strip much. If that's true, then I don't think a front mount makes sense for you. Buying one because it 'looks cool' is not smart. Todd has nitrous to help him get spooled, and he plans to spend some time at the drag strip I believe.

-Pace

·
2,210 Posts
I only have experience with the Hyperflow (TurboXS). It's a beautifully constructed unit, and is HUGE. Also, you get TurboXS' AND Hyperflow's great customer support to back it up. Things are a little up in the air with APS right now as they are still fleshing out their US dealer network.

-Pace

·
Registered
139 Posts
I say FMIC. I love mine! My Blitz FMIC gets more air then any TMIC would ever hope to get. Sure it added a bit more lag but I gained more horsepower with this mod to offset the lag. I get full boost at 3,900 RPM with my Blitz and VF-22 combo...

·
Registered
745 Posts
well, FMIC gets my vote, I have noticed huge differences and the lack of pressure drop makes up for the lag. I have the Blitz, but I would go GReddy if given the choice again! smaller and less tubing. My car has never felt this good, VF22 + Blitz FMIC + BPM GT....great combo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im with Nate

Im with Nate - for the dollars, the Greddy is still the best unit for the WRX IMO. I know the top mount has a little less lag and the pressure differential is very close, but long term I think having the intercooler AWAY from the engine and transmission is going to be better for power and maybe even for the longevity of the engine.

I dont regret having done the Blitz - it was a phatty unit for the time, and an experiment on my part, but the Greddy seems like a much better constructed unit and a smaller core than the Blitz as well, making lag less of an issue.

Cheers

J

·
Registered
432 Posts
I believe the GReddy FMIC is tube and fin design. I would think that a bar and plate TMIC would have a lower pressure drop than a tube and fin FMIC, plus no lag.

What do y'all think an insurance company would do if they find a modified crash bar after an accident claim? That's right, you front the whole bill.

·
Registered
555 Posts
JRod said:

What do y'all think an insurance company would do if they find a modified crash bar after an accident claim? That's right, you front the whole bill.
All the more reason to get the 6 pot brakes :D

Performance-wise I see people converting from bigger TMIC to FMIC, but rarely do I see someone go FMIC to TMIC. That may be because more power is usually the motivator and/or that the FMIC work is more difficult to reverse.

I guess this fall under the same "big qiestion" issues like:
*Totally catless?
*Which upgrade turbo?
*and now, TMIC or FMIC

·
Registered
139 Posts
All the more reason to get the 6 pot brakes
I have 6 pot brakes on the front and 4 pots on the rear for this very reason. :D Mr. Head meet Mr. Windshield... :eek:

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QuickSilver said:

I guess this fall under the same "big qiestion" issues like:
*Totally catless?
*Which upgrade turbo?
*and now, TMIC or FMIC
Currently have a VF22 turbo
1 high flow cat in the exhaust
I got a great deal on a Blitz fmic...but trying to figure out how much the install will cost me

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have the Greddy fmic/PE1818 and love it! As far as not having the front bumper beam. You can always get a the JDM beam or have a new one welded. Brian, not all of us have the kind of coin that you're sporting. Just wondering, when you lock the brakes up, does your trunk come off the ground?

Todd

·
Registered
57 Posts
What do y'all think an insurance company would do if they find a modified crash bar after an accident claim? That's right, you front the whole bill. [/B][/QUOTE]

That is not totally true. I just crashed my car on the 23rd of March. The insurance sent a adjuster to look at my car and they covered my front mount as well as everything else. I don't think that he knew that the WRX came factory with a top mount. I think I am just lucky. I did around 10 grand worth of damage to the front of my car. What really sucked was that I just finally got it back from the shop that Wed. haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts