Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this guy seems to have nothing good at all to say about the WRX. how do you think it stands up against the 2.5RS? i myself prefer the looks of the WRX but hey, looks dont mean much. ive never driven a 2.5 RS so i dont know what they are like. not sure weather i should go with a wrx or go with a 2.5RS and get a turbo and clutch upgrade. my mind is telling me to get the wrx, but i just wantd your guy's oppinions. :)

edit: previous gen 2.5RS

http://www.maitreg.com/cars/impreza/2002/review.asp

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
You're thinking about getting a 2.5RS, then turbo it? Why not just get the WRX then?

What are you going to do when you install the turbo, then try to take it to a Subaru dealership when you have engine problems? Everything will be out of pocket, no warranty will protect will in that regard.

The price difference between the 2.5RS & the WRX is about $4000, but when you add a turbo, the price difference starts to shrink fast, and of course you have no warranty on the engine. So in the long run, the turbo 2.5RS will be more expensive.

ALso, the 2.5RS is designed to be normally aspirated, not turbocharged. Naturally, it will have higher compression pistons, weaker connecting rods, weaker bolts, etc... compared to the 2.0 turbo in the WRX, purposely built for turbo.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i can get a 2000 2.5RS for about 15K cheaper(canadian) than a WRX. but i think you make a good point. why waste a warrenty like that. oh and btw, i read a few more reviews and they all say the WRX is one of the best cars out today. they cant find much wrong with it

·
1,911 Posts
Actually there are many things wrong with it like the horrible understeer and the even worse brakes BUT those problems can be solved easily and you can make so much more power for less money with the WRX. Plus the interior is much nicer on the WRX than the older models. No contest, go for the WRX.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
God said:
Actually there are many things wrong with it like the horrible understeer and the even worse brakes BUT those problems can be solved easily and you can make so much more power for less money with the WRX. Plus the interior is much nicer on the WRX than the older models. No contest, go for the WRX.
i found the steering to be pretty good, but i dont really know what to compare it to. i think i will go with the wrx though. it does seem nicer. plus, i dont want to buy a used car, especially a car like that. you never know how it was driven

1 - 5 of 5 Posts