ClubWRX Forum banner

Help Kurlee Choose a Quicker Spooling Turbo!

• VF34

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • VF35

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • VF23

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 16g

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Leave your setup alone and quit crying!

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying that I really love my VF22 up top, but truthfully, I need a quicker spooling turbo for everyday use. Since I live in California, I can only get 91 octane from the pump. Yes I know, I can put 100 octane or toluene additive in to bump up the octane, but that is not very convenient for me to do. Also, since I run 91 octane, I can only run my VF22 safely at 16psi. So my VF22 will never reach fully potential at 16psi. My best dyno #'s to date on 91 octane at 16psi are 258whp/245 ft.lbs.

So I have come to a decision that I need a faster spooling turbo that can be run at 16psi all day long. I really miss the spooling charactersistics of my stock turbo so long ago, and I want that back now.(Old Man Rant.)

I can get in on a local group buy for a VF34 for a VERY cheap price. VF34 spools somewhere around 3200 rpms on a Stage 4 setup.

I can get a 16G from Deadbolt Enterprises for $799. Spool up charactersistics are better than a VF22, but slower than a VF34.

I am also looking at VF23 and VF35's.

Please contribute to my poll.

Should I leave my setup alone or go with something else.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Vf34 -- tried and true, plus its cheaper.

I would normally say VF35 but those are around $1200 each :eek3:

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
VF23

I've been in a car with a vf23 and owned a car with a vf34 , and if I had it to do over again I would go with the vf23.... The vf23 spooled about 100rpm later and gave a harder hit and more topend (feels a lot like a vf22 and can make similar power). The vf34 hits very smoothly... after owning a vf22 you're gonna miss the hit that the vf22 gave.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
why isn't the 18g on the list? it spools faster down low than the 22, and has more top end.

do you think the 91 has anything to do with the slower spool up? i have some theories, but want to hear what you say.

i haven't seen enough on the 16g, but it sounds like it might be a good one. scoobytech should have some compressor maps, maybe you can do a comparison that way.

sell me your turbo.

dR

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I think 200-300 rpm max (highly dependent on tuning) is more likely the difference (based on discusions w/ a few tuners)... peak power should be identical.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
dark_rex said:
compressor housing, inducer etc are all the same though.
Not quite true. Quote from Clark Turner:

The VF34 has a teflon seal on the inside face of the compressor housing that actually touches the compressor wheel leading edge. During the first moments of startup the compressor wheel cuts into the seal to create clearance. This makes for a perfect seal from compressor wheel to compressor housing which increases effeciency. If you have time and both a VF30 and a VF34 remove the compressor housings and check it out.. I did. Also.. the Sleeve bearing is known to be more reliable then any of the ball or roller bearing turbos....I have seen many a failed or noisey VF34 while I have seen very few failed VF30's.
This topic came up a few weeks ago. You can read the original PDXWRX thread here

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Keep it on topic people. You are trying to decide what turbo I will buy.:D

And I don't have a pocket full of money to buy a Garret Turbo. So I want to buy an affordable QUICKER SPOOLING turbo.

It looks as though the VF34 is winning. And I can get it for a very good price.

·
Banned
12,156 Posts
best bearing design is opinion. some people bash old BB styles, some praise them.

the sleeve bearing is reliable, but sacrafices performance.

i voted for the 16g, b/c it's interesting and different, and tried and true.

sell me your 22.

dR

1 - 20 of 43 Posts