ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was about to launch my STi at 6k and went I started to slip the clutch I heard a LOUD pop from the back and then all I could do was rev 1st gear without moving. If I switch the DCCD all the way to Lock or any of the other "yellow arrows" I can drive it around ok, but it made a lot of cracking noises and stuff on the way home.

My main concerns are this:

1) Do you think Subaru will cover this under warranty when I bring it in tomorrow? (mods listed later)

2) How did this happen and how can I avoid it? (someone thought it was because I dumped the clutch, which I have done in the past, but I slipped it this time when it broke).

3) How much would it cost to fix if Subaru decides not to cover it?

My engine mods include:
Exedy single plate clutch w/ lightened flywheel
TurboXS downpipe
Blitz intake
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin oil catch-can
ceramic coated XXtuning header w/ up-pipe

I haven't heard any similar problems from other STi owners, so I need some help tonight (that's why I didn't post this in the drivetrain forum).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and
4) If you guys were in my position, what would you do? Would you just drop it off at the dealership and be like, "my transmission isn't working"?

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
how can you ask how much it's going to be to fix if we have no idea what's actually broke? :rolleyes: Oh, and for a recommendation, take off as many aftermarket mods as possible before you bring it in (ie the exhaust and whatever else besides clutch and flywheel.)

·
Registered
472 Posts
DenniSTi said:
Ok so I was about to launch my STi at 6k and went I started to slip the clutch I heard a LOUD pop from the back and then all I could do was rev 1st gear without moving. If I switch the DCCD all the way to Lock or any of the other "yellow arrows" I can drive it around ok, but it made a lot of cracking noises and stuff on the way home.

My main concerns are this:

1) Do you think Subaru will cover this under warranty when I bring it in tomorrow? (mods listed later)

2) How did this happen and how can I avoid it? (someone thought it was because I dumped the clutch, which I have done in the past, but I slipped it this time when it broke).

3) How much would it cost to fix if Subaru decides not to cover it?

My engine mods include:
Exedy single plate clutch w/ lightened flywheel
TurboXS downpipe
Blitz intake
Perrin turbo inlet hose
Perrin oil catch-can
ceramic coated XXtuning header w/ up-pipe

I haven't heard any similar problems from other STi owners, so I need some help tonight (that's why I didn't post this in the drivetrain forum).
hoo boy your gonna be screwed if you try to get that fixed under warranty, sounds like you just blew your rear end or center diff, at least. Just because the STI is stronger than the 2L wrx, anytime you dump 300+ft lbs at 6K your just rolling the dice.

Subaru is VERY AGGRESIVE about refusing warranty work if they can detect ANY mods on your car, and its mostly because of people like you driving like this then trying to scam them into covering it, which in turn makes it that much harder for us with legitimate non driver-abuse problems to get our work covered.

You did something stupid with your car, you broke it, now you want Subaru to fix it for you. Be a man, suck it up, and pay for your own mistake. Im in a the same position, I blew out my fifth gear on my own but never thought of taking it back to Subaru since it was my own damn fault. So I bought JDM 5-6 gears that I will be paying for myself to be installed as soon as Im ready for a clutch. You gotta pay to play man, thats just the way it goes.
;)

·
Registered
240 Posts
my sti is in the dealership right now for rear differential work. i never launched the car except a few occasional times but my car seemed to break while i was on the freeway? Whatever it is, they are fixing it under warranty for me but i am stock

·
Registered
460 Posts
Way to go, Captian Rally Numbnuts. Either this is a joke post or you're a real clownhat. I would be thinking up a really good story to tell your service manager right now...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I bet the clutch did it. There's got to be a weak link in a AWD drivetrain...usually its the clutch. But now you've beefed it up, so somethings got to give. Same thing in a regular WRX, except its usually the gears that go.

·
Registered
460 Posts
DenniSTi said:
Oh and
4) If you guys were in my position, what would you do? Would you just drop it off at the dealership and be like, "my transmission isn't working"?
Yeah, and the service manager's retort would be "And your warranty doesn't seem to be working anymore, either."

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, if I come off as trying to deceive Subaru or anything, because I'm not going to try. I'm not going to remove any mods, and I was just asking what your thoughts were. I know some dealerships are more willing than others, but the only reason why I even consider it being covered under warranty is because I don't know how this can happen on such a fairly new car with, at most, 300whp and less than 20 or 30 launches (maybe 10 on the new clutch). I guess anything is possible, but I honestly thought our cars were stronger than that; I've heard Evo's having problems, but I not any STi's yet. I would never say I abused my car, but if you guys consider 5 or 6k launches abuse, then you are probably not using the car like it's designed to be driven to reach its fullest potential (or so I thought). Seriously, I never did donuts, burnouts, or anything extreme.

I am totally willing to pay, but I was hoping someone could give me a ballpark range, even though we have no idea what needs replacing. Also if I'm going to have to pay for this out of my pocket, are there any aftermarket alternatives or anything else I should get replaced while I'm getting it fixed?
I just want to know how this happened, and how can I avoid it, assuming it's not a defect. Like maybe I should have replaced my differential fluid, or should I never slip the clutch? OR should I not dump the clutch?

Anyways, I'm taking it in tomorrow morning, so I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,985 Posts
The service you receive, and the requirements made of you from the dealer to receive it, will vary depending on the dealer you use and the specific car. Hopefully you have chosen an understanding dealer.

The description you give fits my guess of what's wrong - a snapped halfshaft - but it also fits several other explanations ranging from a snapped joint to a failed diff. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I'd not dump the clutch on tarmac. Ever.

Even on gravel, I'd recommend keeping your foot on the clutch, so that you don't lose the chance to slip more if the car starts bogging etc.

This is a road car intended as a platform to be developed for sport use (albeit, with a motor that's too large to be homologated in the US), and even then, there will be expendables.

·
6,298 Posts
My recommendation is to just be honest and tell them what happened. If something broke (shaft, rear diff, etc), and since you have a modified clutch installed, you of course will be paying for it. It sounds like you don't have a problem with that, so all is well.

As for why it happened, what type of surface you launch on, what tire pressure you are running, and the ambient conditions can all affect how well your tires grip, and subsequent potential for breakage. Usually the culprit is normal or low tire pressure, at least in the instances where I've seen a shaft snap (once).

Be careful about the downpipe though. It's a fed. offense to tamper with the cat, so you may want to consider putting the stock downpipe on in case the service department gets crappy with you. I've never heard of anyone outside of CA getting fined for this, but hey, you never know. Not trying to alarm you, just educate. Do a search of fed regs for cats. I think it's about 2.5 K fine.

·
Registered
475 Posts
isr96 said:
my sti is in the dealership right now for rear differential work. i never launched the car except a few occasional times but my car seemed to break while i was on the freeway? Whatever it is, they are fixing it under warranty for me but i am stock
The very nature of how you are describing the problem occuring compared to the thread started is why they are. heh.

para

·
Registered
472 Posts
DenniSTi said:
I would never say I abused my car, but if you guys consider 5 or 6k launches abuse, then you are probably not using the car like it's designed to be driven to reach its fullest potential (or so I thought). Seriously, I never did donuts, burnouts, or anything extreme.
I dont know where you come from that you think 6K launches are less stress on your drive train that donuts or burnouts:confused:

and I also dont know where you ever got the idea that this car was "designed" for repeated 6K launches, ITS NOT!
Just because some people drag WRXs(and often break them too)doesnt mean any part of them is designed for it, if that were the case it would have solid axle rear end and a spool diff, it doesnt :rolleyes:

full rpm launches with no wheel slip is about the worst thing you can do to any drivetrain on ANY car, do you honestly think that this car was made to do this and what happened to you is because of some defect?? unbelivable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why does it seem the American consumers can break anything. :rolleyes: JUN has a tuned STi pushing out 600hp at the fly using a stock 6 speed tranny and you managed to break something with minor mods? I seriously think something is wrong with your techniques.

Just to help, you probably didn't break your tranny or clutch, but you probably broke your axles. Subaru beefed up the tranny only to have people start breaking the rear ends.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Impreza01 said:
Why does it seem the American consumers can break anything. :rolleyes: JUN has a tuned STi pushing out 600hp at the fly using a stock 6 speed tranny and you managed to break something with minor mods? I seriously think something is wrong with your techniques.
its all about how you drive it. Id assume JUN racing the STi on the track and not so much the drag strip.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts