Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to electrical mods and I'm not sure how to approach this.
It seems simple enough; I've wired additional lights to my fog and low beam circuits, as well as used a relay for additional high beams, so I feel pretty confident I can manage whatever needs to be done here.

The idea was to install a switch that effectively pulls the ABS fuse- primarily for rallycross.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,541 Posts
You are looking to replace a fuse with a switch?

No

Just put a simple switch in line to whatever. You can buy them from eBay for cheap with a diagram that tells you positive negative signal or positive negative only.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are looking to replace a fuse with a switch?

No

Just put a simple switch in line to whatever. You can buy them from eBay for cheap with a diagram that tells you positive negative signal or positive negative only.
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have an example?
Is something like this not a reasonable solution?

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts
This seems highly dangerous to me.

It is possible, certainly.

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,541 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have an example?
Is something like this not a reasonable solution?
That's inline. That would be the ideal solution. Initially I read that as remove the fuse and add a switch. That would be a good way to burn your car down.

That SHOULD work. I've wired many a jeep that way for various accessories. Winches, trail lights, elockers.

I've never done it with an integrated system but in theory it should work. Or freak the bcu/bcm out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's inline. That would be the ideal solution. Initially I read that as remove the fuse and add a switch. That would be a good way to burn your car down.

That SHOULD work. I've wired many a jeep that way for various accessories. Winches, trail lights, elockers.

I've never done it with an integrated system but in theory it should work. Or freak the bcu/bcm out.
Okay that makes sense. Yeah I figure the fuse is there for a reason and should stay :p
Freaking the car out was a concern I had; pulling ABS fuses for motorsports seems common, so I'm hoping it won't be an issue- but I do wonder if the car will react differently if I tried to do it while the car is running.

So is this not common enough for there to be a piece of wiring to achieve this? For example "add-a-circuits" exist; I was thinking I needed some similar ~$5-10 adapter type thing [on top of some wire and a switch, of course].
And is there a certain kind of switch I need to shop for, or do pretty much all toggle switches work on the principle of breaking the circuit? That's probably a dumb question, but...I did say I was new to these things 😬

This seems highly dangerous to me.

It is possible, certainly.
Did you also think I wanted to remove the fuse entirely, or was there some other reason this could be dangerous?

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts
Did you also think I wanted to remove the fuse entirely, or was there some other reason this could be dangerous?
Any time you are wiring into a safety system, particularly a disconnect that will bypass a safety system, I would stay vigilant. What would happen if the ABS was bypassed on accident during a panic brake? You need to consider these things.

Cause-and-effects analysis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.