ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using the long weekend to get my VF34, uppipe, and STi injectors installed. I only get to work on it for a couple of hours at a time, due to family. So far I have the stock turbo out, and I'm getting close to having the stock uppipe out. Not terribly worried about those things.

I read the sticky with Pace's comments about changing out the injectors, and he said to remove the airbox, then start working on the GBOD's. (He called them rail guards) Well, the airbox is out, but I can barely even see the GBOD's.:eek3: What other things do people suggest I remove to gain access, or can I do it as things stand? The TurboXS instructions talk about removing the "coolant assembly" next to the intake manifold. What all's involved in doing that?

Thanks in advance for any help; I have searched extensively. Mostly people just go on and on about what a ***** this is!

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Super helpful picture:

Also...removing the coolant assembly isn't hard, just figure out which bolts are holding it onto the manifold and slowly take each one out, making sure you aren't spilling things.

The coolant tank is attached to a brace/clip thing that is attached to the manifold, so take both the coolant tank off the clip and then the clip/support thing off the manifold.

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trailboss said:
Super helpful picture:
You are truly awesome! Thanks a bunch, that gives me something to work with. I may post back with more dumb questions before the weekends out...:)

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's interesting to me that the battery and washer fluid tank aren't indicated. Pace mentioned them in his little commentary, and it looks like it would be helpful to get them out of the way. They're easy to move, anyway...

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm somewhere between excited and scared. I was originally going to pay someone to do this, but after I got the estimate, I got ambitious. I've got a backup vehicle, so I'm not doing this in a hurry. It's a good thing, since I'm apparently the slowest auto mechanic on earth!:)

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
I guess you can move the battery since you've probably unplugged it anyway, however when I was helping someone with this install I don't really see the need to remove the battery. Washer fluid tank, yes...my mistake for not mentioning that before.

Overall, the more you remove the easier it will be, but don't take out everything, and you'll just have to put more back on later.

Good luck.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The GBOD brackets can be left off. Makes things alot easier. There are many different assumptions as to what purpose they serve. The thing I ended up doing on passenger side was to dremel the front most section off. Making it 2 pieces. Since you have the turbo off, not necessary now but still easier if left off. Takes some contorting of arms and fingers and lots of patience. Not trying to scare or discourage you. But rather prepare you for a little frustration. 12mm ratcheting wrench is ideal to help the process. Lots of bolts on those suckers. Like 7 bolts on drivers side and more on Pass. side because of coolant reservoir. Take your time and give yourself plenty of time.

I ended up beating my GBOD with a hammer once off the car. I was working against the weather and time frame too.

You can do it!:tongue:

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
neverendingmods said:
The GBOD brackets can be left off. Makes things alot easier. There are many different assumptions as to what purpose they serve. The thing I ended up doing on passenger side was to dremel the front most section off. Making it 2 pieces. Since you have the turbo off, not necessary now but still easier if left off. Takes some contorting of arms and fingers and lots of patience. Not trying to scare or discourage you. But rather prepare you for a little frustration. 12mm ratcheting wrench is ideal to help the process. Lots of bolts on those suckers. Like 7 bolts on drivers side and more on Pass. side because of coolant reservoir. Take your time and give yourself plenty of time.
Yeah, after I wrote my panicked post, I looked a little more carefully, and saw that I should probably start on a couple of the passenger side GBOD bolts while I have the turbo off. And it looks like it won't be quite so scary once I get that coolant assembly out of the way. Oh, and I bought a 12mm ratcheting boxend wrench just for this job. :) Now I want one in 10mm and 14mm, too. That sucker's handy in tight spots.

I've read that the GBOD's are for safety in a collision, so your injectors don't spray all over the place and start a fire. I'd like to put them back on, but I haven't made up my mind if I will or not.

You said ~7 bolts on the driver's side GBOD; does anyone have an exact bolt count for both sides?:confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
For bolt counts on both sides, I could have swore that it was 4 on the drivers side and 6 for the passenger side.

I just did this install over the last week and I had a hard time getting the GBOD out but I did put them back in with no problems at all. Just pay attention to how you take them out and put them back on the same way. I heard people saying that they left them off, but I figured I should put them on because I would end up doing something stupid like not paying attention, leaning on an injector and having the thing break off and spray fuel everywhere.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Twisting/Wiggling out the GBOD is the hard part because it seems like it perpetually gets stuck on other parts. Remember the way you twist it out when you remove them...it makes it SO much easier to put them back in if you do.

-Josh

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
A "GBOD" stands for "Green Bracket of Death"

There are 2 of them that cover each injector on both sides of the manifold.

There are two of them, one on each side...and they're a pain in the a** to get off and on.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
RayfieldsWRX said:
It's interesting to me that the battery and washer fluid tank aren't indicated. Pace mentioned them in his little commentary, and it looks like it would be helpful to get them out of the way. They're easy to move, anyway...
Remove the washer tank, leave the battery.

-Jim

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies, very helpful! :D

No work done, today. Too many relatives and parental duties on a July 4th...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ray,

Not sure if this helps now that you're already far along, but here is my advice from my recent injector + turbo install.

Jimbo

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jimbo said:
Ray,
Not sure if this helps now that you're already far along, but here is my advice from my recent injector + turbo install.
Interesting read. Like I said at the beginning, I'm working at a snail's pace, due to family and work. Tonight I got out the GBOD's, and the driver's side injectors. I'm hoping to wrap up injectors tomorrow night, and get started on installing the VF34.

To make matters worse, I'm slow and methodical. I put parts in labelled plastic baggies, because I know over a period of days, I'll start to lose track of what goes where.

Is it REALLY necessary to have 2 people to check for injector leaks? I hadn't counted on that. Is it something I can train the wife to do. (Her in the car, turning the key, me looking for leaks?)

·
48,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
driverj said:
Are you done yet, Ray? :p

I'm waiting cause I want to go the same route.
Yeah, I know...this has to be the slowest VF34 install in ClubWRX history! I'm thinking about staying up late tonight and trying to wrap it up. I won't be worth a damn, tomorrow, but I'll be really happy if my car is running!:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts