Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF... the e-brake is partially stuck. I release the handle all the way but a) the brake light is still on, b) the DRLs don't turn on, c) the car will roll but there's still a small bit of braking pressure.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thechickencow said:
Sounds frozen...hmmm.

I'm sure you tried applying and releasing again.
Yeh... the pads aren't frozen to the rotors... so is it possible that there's enough ice clogging the caliper that it just won't fully release? And if so, why won't the DRLs engage even if the handle is (theoretically) all the way down? I thought that was a simple switch activated by the handle itself...

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Well the handbrake is not by the pads itself but rather by a separate internal drum brake. It is cable activated. Since the DRL dash light is still on, I suspect that there's a snatch of the cable somewhere near the pivot of the handle itself. Consider pulling apart the console to inspect. Perhaps you can lube the cable a little to reduce friction.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Open the console and check the switch. The SM diagram is attached.

Are you sure the brake is dragging? The reason I ask is that the WRX is kinda hard to push with the AWD drag.....if you're not used to it you might think the brake is dragging.

It sounds like it could just be a switch problem. As you can see in the diagram, the switch is just a handle-position indicator and really has nothing to do with the brake mechanism itself.

Chris

·
433 Posts
If it was cold the night before, it could easily have frozen. My handbrake froze back in January. All it needed was a rev+half-clutch against it at 3000rpm for about a second or two and I broke free.

·
Registered
266 Posts
A while back, I pulled my ebreak to bring my back end around to initiate a rally-ish U-turn. My rear breaks where not applied, but my break light stayed on. I thought I might of broke the swtich under the handle. I drove around a little, and after I slowed down to under about 20 mph or so, the break like went off. I still don't know what happened till this day. But I always thought the light only stayed on when the switch was depressed on the handle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts