Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think a lot of you guys came from the Civic crowd, either as your first cars, or your first tuner. So I thought, what better people to ask about the things to look for, or look out for, when purchasing a used Civic.

My daughter is approaching driving age, and wants to get a car to start fixing up. She has her eye on the early '90s Civic hatchbacks, probably statring with the new design in '92.Target price is under $3000. That leaves out the VX and si. The CX and DX are the lowest trim levels, and probably more in her range. Probably better to get a good condition stripped model than a loaded, but used up car.

We live in a pretty populous area, and learning with a manual in heavy traffic seems like it would be intimodating. I learned on the farm with a tractor, and then a small town where traffic was never a problem.

So, here's some questions. Is the auto pretty good on the Civic hatch? Enough power to motivate, without getting a 16 year old in trouble? What do we look for as trouble areas? Or, what features do we avoid.

She's already looking at CD players, subs, neon, and graphics :rolleyes:

All the boys think she's cool, because she likes cars, and goes with me to Mid-Ohio for the races. Plus picking her up in the WRX, the MGA, and even once in grandpa's new MINI after school has gone from embarrasing (too much attention) to "Dad, can you pick me up in the MG?" :D Nope, no ego problems there...

Thanks for any input you guys can offer. We'll keep you updated occasionally on the new car progress.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
smorris said:

Enough power to motivate, without getting a 16 year old in trouble?

Ehh sorry I dont have any civic info, my first car was a 93 celica, but there is no such thing as having power that wont get a 16 year old in trouble. A 16 year old could drive somthing with 50hp and can still cause pleanty of trouble, it will just take them a little longer to get there.

Alex

·
Registered
265 Posts
when i got my licence my mom had a early 90's civic that was auto. I think that is the body style previous to the one you a looking for but it was a good car, my mom changed the oil max of 6 times for 130K miles and it did not burn any oil and ran fine, in fact the mechanic that changed the timing belt said the cams did not show signs of excessive wear. The car was a bit slow, in my veiw it is more dangerous to be in an under powered car than one with to much. My buddy that had a 93 5 speed civic ex until last year and it was great very nice car for the money. Right on the heals of my miata in a drag race, not so close in the twisties, but hondas are great cars. btw i drove the hell out of my moms civic.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I had a '95 civic hatchback VX, it was my 4th car, got it stock used with 50k miles for $5000, no accidents, non smoker, 1st owner, good buy...heres a pic of it..

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Teacher her the value of a buck, make her pay for her own graphics, and neon and stuff.
Car mods are exetrmly expensive for people with no job.

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WRX>MUSTANG said:
Teacher her the value of a buck, make her pay for her own graphics, and neon and stuff.
Car mods are exetrmly expensive for people with no job.
Oh, I know that! She's paying for everything. Saved up babysitting money, and figures she'll be able to buy in early spring. We'll probably pitch in if something comes up early, but she will pay us back. No "Daddy bought it" for her. She even dislikes the girls she knows doing that and not caring about or for the car. Just a way to get to the mall. Dad taught her right! Hey, it was her that helped me with the install on the Prodrive muffler last night!

afpdl said:

Ehh sorry I dont have any civic info, my first car was a 93 celica, but there is no such thing as having power that wont get a 16 year old in trouble. A 16 year old could drive somthing with 50hp and can still cause pleanty of trouble, it will just take them a little longer to get there.

Alex
You are quite right, Alex. I had a 40 year old '29 Ford Model A as my first car. Only about 45 HP, but weighed two tons, had drum brakes, and no shocks, and would go 70 MPH. Way too much wieght to be shoved around by a skinny kid with no power steering!

I know all about Honda's reliability reputation. We bought a new '83 Accord which we replaced with a '95 Accord, which was finally replaced with Deb's current "01 A6. Plus half my family works for Honda or some company supplying Honda in Bellefontaine/Marysville. So I'm happy with her choice of brand. She doesn't have any interest in the older Subarus, and there are none around here for sale anyway.

Nice VX, Nexus!

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
Is she paying for insurance?
Jeez, grahpics?
If she has to have them, make sure they are on the underside!
Arent they really expensive?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I had a '99 Civic LX.

An eceptionally fine automobile. BMW wishes it could do as well in that market.

misterx

EDIT: You had a model A? Damn! I had a '53 Mercury Montery and I thought that was bad! It weighed a lot more than that Model A and had a flat head V8 rated at 85 hp. I could go 80mph on a steep hill (down). But it had a back seat like your living room sofa and I was using it to good advantage. I told my dad the pecker tracks were milkshake spills. He didn't believe me, but he accepted it.

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WRX>MUSTANG said:
Is she paying for insurance?
Jeez, grahpics?
If she has to have them, make sure they are on the underside!
Arent they really expensive?
Not yet, she's not driving, but she will. She is hoping ot get the car six months to a year before driving, so she can fix it up, paint it, etc. I bought my A when I was 14 and completely built it up. Finally drove it when I was 17. Paid $80 for it, and ended up selling it for $800. Of course this was 35 years ago...

Yea, I know about the graphics :rolleyes: She's got to get her priorities straight here. I tell her real enthusiasts don't need to shout "Hey, look at my car! See it glow!"

Say "Hi" to her. She's watching this thread upstairs on her iMac. Hi Chels :D

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
MisterX said:
You had a model A? Damn! I had a '53 Mercury Montery and I thought that was bad!
Yep. Here's a photo of a photo I just took, so it looks pretty bad. But you get the idea.

I guess she gets her "over-modding" desire honestly. If you take a real close look at the A, you can see some non-standard items. 16" wheels from a '32 Ford V8 instead of the 19" that came on the Model A (sorta the opposite of what we do now, huh?) Dual whip antenna (but no radio), Landau irons on the rear corners. West Virginia Chrome-in-a-Can for the bumpers. Plus! Plus, it had white birch panelling for the vertical interior surfaces and the hides of dozens of rare metal-flake silver Naugas for the seats. It had a Ford optional 2" blue marble shift knob (worth as much as the car when I bought it. I still have the knob.) and the height of car audio. This was in the days before CD, cassette, or even 8-tracks. I had a 6 volt receptacle in the dash, and into that I plugged a 6 volt portable record player. So we had tunes wherever we parked. Just don't try to play it on the road.

Man, and I pick on the modern r!ce craze. Guess I should take a look in the mirror, huh? ;)

Senor X, Was that the year with the revesrse slanting rear window that rolled down electrically. I think that came later, but can't recall. A buddy of mine had one of those. Made it great for shooting bottle rockets at your friends in the cars behind you. Hey. It was a small town. What else were we supposed to do. You can only go cow tipping so many times, ya know. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey Chels, just say no graphics! It'll just make your car more desirable to thieves and cops. Save up for an engine swap. :) B18 or B16 swap. My friend just dropped a B18C1 (GSR) motor into his Del Sol and boy is that thing fun. Cya.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I would recommend the stick anyways...more bang for the buck and better fuel economy (by a looooongstretch).

If you can find one with an old 1.5 liter DOHC Teg motor from 89 it would be sufficiently fast yet restrictive.

any female in a car is hazardous...IMHO. But it sounds like your daughter has a good shoulder on her head. I respect the fact she didnt drill you for a brand new RSX Type S or CL Type S six speed.

*sigh* sadly, there arent more girls like this around here

·
Super Moderator
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jtek said:
I respect the fact she didnt drill you for a brand new RSX Type S or CL Type S six speed.
Nah, they never even came up in conversation. Now a Corvette Z06, on the other hand, has come up in conversation frequently. :eek: Especially after she got a ride in my friend's '92 t-top 'Vette.

Nope, she knows I didn't have a new car until I was 22 (a 1975 VW Scirocco; VW's first water cooled car) and that he mother didn't even have a car until she was 21 or so ('68 Camaro), and not a new one until she was 28 (afformentioned 1983 Honda Accord.) She knew getting us to buy her a car at all, let alone a new one was a non-starter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
first off, a fatherly like 'hi chels'
and secondly.....Dad? can you pick ME up in the MG? :) woohoo, let us old timers go have some FUN!!! LOL.....
DML

1 - 15 of 15 Posts